Rue des Vignes, St Peter
Type of property
Families associated with the property
- Le Montais
- Bosdet owners in the late 19th century and still in 1929, when the will of John Harry Rose Bosdet was registered. That of his wife, Annie Elizabeth, nee Woodman, was registered in 1920
- Baudains: Clarence William Baudains and Alice Maud, nee Renouf, were occupiers in 1941, according to Occupation identity card applications, but Jersey Heritage holds the diary of Eva Mary Bosdet, née Bacey, wife of John Bosdet, who were living there, too. 
Historic Environment Record entry
The most significant part of this group is the 17th century, three-bay house with its chamfered windows and door. The outbuildings to the west and south west are of value within the group. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. The stonework on the facade and the fireplaces suggest it is built in the early 17th century.
There are few internal features remaining although the chamfered fireplaces, with chamfer stops and the beams are evidence of the early origins of the house.
Old Jersey Houses
Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses suggests that this house was built and named in 1651, the year when the future King Charles II hid in an oak tree at Boscobel farmhouse in Shropshire, after the Battle of Worcester.
The Le Montais family, who had significant land holdings in the area, were known to have been staunch Royalists, and it is suggested that they built the house.
Notes and references
- ↑ The diary includes an account of the arrival of German forces in 1940 and refers to issues including censorship, restrictions and orders imposed by the occupying forces on arrival. It describes daily life in Jersey during the Occupation from 21 June 1941 to 30 May 1945, after the Liberation, referring to matters including rationing, collaboration, notices, requisitioning, growing own food, confiscation of items including wireless radios, evacuation of English citizens and comments about the system of government. It refers throughout to her husband Jack [John Bosdet], including his death in 1944 and subsequent move from Boscobel Farm to La Cloture.