de Rue family page
1659 record of the marriage of Raulin Mauger and Magdelaine de Rue in St Lawrence
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The family is thought to be of French origin and linked to the old spellings de Ryeulx and de Rieulx, which suggest that it is not as simple a derivation as a direct translation of the modern French "from the street" would suggest. Because de La Rue is essentially a Guernsey name, although it has been present in Jersey since the 19th century, and is found in much older records, we show it as a separate family.
The name first appears in Jersey in the 15th century
- de Ryeulx
- de Rieulx
- La Rue
- Le Rue
- de Rue, 1461
- Derues 1461-7
- de La Rue, 1309
- de La Ruwe 1274
- de Rua 1227
- de Rues 1617
- Descendants of Jean de Rues
- Descendants of Lucas de Rue 2017
- Descendants of Andre Philippe La Rue Added 2018
- De Rue baptisms in Jersey
- De Rue marriages in Jersey (groom)
- De Rue marriages in Jersey (bride)
- De Rue burials in Jersey
Great War service
- George Payn de Rue (1884- ) (St C) Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Philip de Gruchy de Rue (1885- ) (St C), Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Arthur Godfray de Rue MM (1896- ) (St C), Corporal, Yorkshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the de Rue family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Catherine de Rue of St Clement, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, £16 of the order of the King 24 December 1808 - D/Y/A/17
- Catherine de Rue of St Clement, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, £1 8 February 1837 - D/Y/A/24
- Ester de Ruë, widow of Jean du Pré 6 May 1743 - D/Y/A/7
- Esther de Rue of St Clement, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, £1 18 April 1840 - D/Y/A/24
- Josué de Rue of St Clement, desires to be buried in St Clement's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, 5s 29 November 1849 - D/Y/A/27
- Philippe de Rue 6 March 1719 - D/Y/A/5
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form