Don Street is a narrow road between King Street and Burrard Street, and a couple of blocks further behind what is now the Public Library. It is a much narrower street than New Street and Halkett Place, with which it runs parallel, and there are no buildings of any historical or architectural significance along its length.
In 1790 the island's first Methodist chapel was built on the corner of King Street and Don Street, and this served the English and French-speaking Methodist communities for 24 years, until they moved to another church further along Don Street. This was in use, probably as late as 1847, when the French-speaking community moved to Grove Street Church, the English-speaking Methodist congregation having already moved to their new church in Wesley Street.
The Don Street chapel then became known as Hotel de Ville (Town Hall) and its large hall was used for banquets and other social events. It is not thought that it had any real administrative function in the parish, which was probably not needed at the time, although the new Town Hall was built in 1872 to provide offices and a large assembly room for the parish.
The pedestrianised end of the street where it meets King Street