It was named after Thomas Nicolle, of Trinity, of whom records survive from 1576 which refer to a fulling mill. At various periods the mill was used for flour, fulling (Moulin à Foulon) and malt (Moulin à Brés).
The building was used as a farm for some time but was derelict in 1958 wehn Gordon Taylor acquired it and renovated the buildings to create the Harvest Barn, which became a very popular inn and restaurant, and was expanded considerably in the 1980s.
From a 1985 booklet on Jersey pubs and inns by Glenn George, then landlord of the Old Smugglers Inn at Ouaisne:
- 'Many years ago the only customers at the Harvest Barn would have been a contented herd of Jersey cows. But following extensive renovations, the granite barn and cowshed were skilfully converted into a thriving pub with several bars and restaurants. Today it enjoys a reputation second to none on the Island.
- 'Rurally situated in the Vallee des Vaux, the Harvest Barn is still only a mile or so from the centre of St Helier. The drive to the pub, along a pleasant winding country road flanked by a stream, is a delight in itself and the pub's two large car parks make life easy for the visiting motorist.
- 'Once at the Barn you have the choice of two low-beamed rustic bars: the appropriately named Granary Bar or the Barn Bar itself, and each of these has a restaurant situated above. Quick service and keen prices are the hallmark of the pub's catering success, and it is possible to have a meal for two, with wine, for under £5. Bar snacks are also available for patrons not wishing to use the fully licensed restaurants.
- 'During the summer months tables and chairs are placed outside in the courtyard, which is a real suntrap. Children are welcome to join their parents in the courtyard or eat in the Restaurants, but don't forget the Chef's day off is Sunday.'