1900, and the thatch has been replaced by a taller tiled roof
Le Bocage is the neighbouring property of Belle Vue on Mont au Roux, St Brelade. The house, which was once thatched, was built for Lieut-General Sir John Le Couteur, who moved there with his new wife Harriet Janvrin in 1818, and their children were born there.
This is stated by Joan Stevens in Old Jersey Houses,  but the situation is somewhat confusing, because in the first volume she says that on his retirement from the Army, Le Couteur moved into Belle Vue in 1816. Belle Vue is the grander of the two properties, and it may be that the General bought Le Bocage to live in while extensive rebuilding was carried out next door at Belle Vue.
Whatever the sequence of events, Le Bocage at the time was an 18th century cottage, behind the site where the new house pictured on this page was built. General Le Couteur bought both Belle Vue and Le Bocage in 1793 from his father-in-law Jean Dumaresq, who bought both properties from his younger brother Philippe Dumaresq the previous year. Philippe had bought Le Bocage from Elie Le Bas and his wife Elizabeth Alexandre in 1787.
We have not been able to trace a marriage for this couple, and confusingly there is an inscription on a lintel HLR ♥ ELB 1751, for Helier Le Rossignol and Elizabeth Le Bas, married at St Ouen in 1745
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH II, 101