Mont de La Greve de Lecq, St Ouen
Type of property
Very old country house, one of Jersey's oldest
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
The lack of datestones and other records makes it difficult to establish which families owned Leoville Farm before 1941. Individual properties in St Ouen are not clearly identified even in the most recent censuses but an entry in the 1891 census suggests that farmer Edward Vautier (1843- ), a widow, was living here with his sons Edward and John, and daughters Mary, Jane, Alice, Ada, Anna and Helena
- Syvret: The Syvret family was living here in 1941: Edward Syvret (1911- ). his wife Lizzie Ahier Syvret, née Cabot (1911- ) and their children Edward John, Kenneth William, John Francis, and Kathleen Elizabeth
Strangely for a house of this antiquity there are no recorded datestones
Historic Environment Record entry
One of the most intact and finest early house frontage in Jersey, and the best local example of the art of the late medieval masons working in the island at that time. The quality of workmanship is comparable to the best examples found in France.
Main two-storey, four-bay house with rear extension, side extensions running forward of main house and a west outbuilding.
There is a nine-piece arch with an outer course of voussoirs circa 1500.
Ground floor room has a benitier in the north wall with trefoil head circa 1500 and the remains of a late medieval fireplace modified circa 1910.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
Considered by the author to be one of the oldest houses in Jersey, it is dated to the 15th century, although it is noted that it was much altered in the 20th century. A well in the house beside the kitchen was recorded in 1898 but has been covered since, and the tourelle staircase disappeared in about 1918.
The house is thought to have been built by the de Carteret family, possibly on the site of the vanished Priory of Ste Marie de Lecq.
Notes and references