Les Augerez Cottage

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search

St Peter has a vingtaine named des Augerez, from which this property got its name. It is said in Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses to have been a family name, and there is a record of the name in 1299, and also variations, such as des Augerez, des Auguereys and Auguereis, in the early 14th century.

Two houses

The house dates back to the late 16th or early 17th century and is older than Augerez Farm in front. The two have now been incorporated into one property. The owner of the cottage in 1849 was E Le Couteur. There are no datestones as such, but the annexe to the west had 1807 inscribed over the door and in the roadside wall is a stone dated 1795.

The arch of Augerez Farm is 17th century, and other features of the property suggest a date early in that century. A lintel has the initials PLV carved, although they are now upside down, and there are two stones commemorating work undertaken in the 19th century by the Dupre family, the then owners. Both are inscribed IDP ELB, for Jean du Pré, who married Elizabeth Le Bas in St Peter in 1812. One is dated 1825 and the other 1832. The Dupre family retained ownership in 1849.

It has not been possible to trace further 19th century occupants through census returns because there is no mention of either Augerez Farm or Cottage. It is possible that they had different names during the 19th century. In 1901 farmer James Maillard and family lived at Augerez Farm and the cottage appears to have been divided into units for farm labourers and their families.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs