No 37 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


37 and 39 King Street


Hamon's, on the left corner, was sometimes called the King Street shop in the longest continuous family ownership, but Voisins, out of shot to the right on the opposite side of the road, was older

An 1837 commercial directory shows grocer E Perchard as the occupant of No 37.

No 37 and No 39 King Street, known as Victoria House, were occupied by drapers Hamons from around 1845. The business finally closed in 2018, despite the owners announcing their intention to wind down and close the business as long ago as 2008.

John Hamon, who was the final proprietor with his brother Edward, said then that the shop could still be in business at Christmas and beyond that time, and so it has proved. The family owns the premises and Mr Hamon said that they had no plans to sell it. It is now being advertised to let.

Victoria House was added to the list of sites of special architectural and historical interest in 2008.

Although the business was referred to for many years as 'one of St Helier's oldest family businesses', it was actually started eight years after Voisins, which remains in business opposite, still owned by the same family as when it opened in 1837.

The business first traded as Hamon and Vonberg, but from 1861 onwards it was known as Hamon and Co, Hamon and Son, and then simply Hamons. By 1851 the business had expanded from No 37 to include No 39 next door.


The business was founded by brothers-in-law. Harriet, daughter of Robert Bartley and Betsy Benest, married William Vonberg. Her sister Jane married Charles Hamon. Charles was born in October 1821, the son of Charles Hamon and Susanna, nee Hubert.

Jane and Charles raised a large family and built the drapery business into a very successful enterprise.

There were 13 children in the Hamon family.They lived first at Devonshire Place, St Helier,later moving to a large house called Dulce Dominum at 61 Colomberie. This house is now the Norfolk Hotel.

After Jane’s death in 1882 Charles Hamon remarried, to Mary Ann Eddy. The eldest daughter of William Eddy and Mary Hall. Mary Ann was born in St Helier in 1833. She worked as an assistant in the drapery and had been godmother to Earnest Queree, Jane's nephew in 1865. She also predeceased Charles, dying on 23 April 1899.

Charles died in 1901 and his son Charles William took over the business.

Jane is buried in the Hamon family plot, in the Methodist section of the Almorah Cemetery, Jersey.


  • 1834 - No record
  • 1837 - E Perchard, grocer
  • 1851 - Hamon and Vonberg
  • 1857 - Hamon and Vonberg
  • 1861 to date - Hamons, drapers, haberdashers etc

Hamon family album

2021, and Hamon's has been closed for three years


Building interior

These pictures of the interior of the premises were taken by Ann-Louise Bisson in May 2021, after the business closed and a planning application had been submitted by potential new tenants
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs