Noel family page
The Noel family has been present in Jersey from the early 14th century to the present day
Marie Ann Noel, née Gaudin
George Edward Noel
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The family name developed from the given name Noel, which is the French word for Christmas, dating back to before the 10th Century. It is a name which has been commonly used for boys born at Christmas.
The word is derived from the Latin natalis via Gallo-Roman natale and ancient French nouel.
The name is common in Normandy, with Hugo Noel being recorded in 1198.
The name appears in Jersey in the Assize Roll of 1309. Baptism records start in the last decade of the 16th century, but there are other earlier records of the following:
- Julian Noel was born in Jersey about 1525. His daughter Katherine (1552- ) married Hugh Perchard
- Nicholas Nouel was born in St Martin about 1569 and married Catherine Mallet, daughter of Philippe and Frances Baudains. Nicholas died in 1625. He and Catherine had a son Noel (1595-1645) and daughters Thomasse (1600- ) and Catherine (1603- ).
- Noe married Pauline Guerdain on 20 December 1626. They had five sons, Nicholas (1630-1638), Nicholas (1640- ), Aaron (1638-1638), Denis (1633-1692) and Aaron (1644-1686) and a daughter Marthe (1628- ).
- Denis married Esther Le Breton and the second Aaron married Elizabeth Filleul on 20 December 1676. They had a son Philippe (1678-1688) and a daughter Marthe (1680-1749).
- Elizabeth Noel, who married Michel Horman in St Martin on 4 December 1601 was born about 1574
- Edmund Noel was born in Jersey about 1587
- Clement Nouel was born in Jersey about 1590 and married Elizabeth Perchard in St Martin in January 1615
- Jeanne Noel was born in St Martin in about 1590 and married a Le Riche on 21 November 1611 in that parish
- Philipine Noel was born in St Saviour, Guernsey in about 1579 and died there in April 1647. She was the daughter of Louys and married Colas Thoraude in 1601.
- Noel, 1299
- Nouel, 1309
Jersey family trees
There is considerable overlap between some of these trees but near duplicates have been included when they are from different sources
- Descendants of Edward Noel (1767-1849)
- Descendants of Julien Noel (1480- )
- Descendants of Nicholas Noel
- Descendants of Nycollas Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 2
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 3
- Descendants of Mathieu Noel
- Descendants of Noe Noel
- Descendants of Michel Noel
- Descendants of Edmons Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 4
- Descendants of Michel Noel 2
- Descendants of Clement Noel - 2 Added 2016
- Descendants of Clement Noel Added 2016
- Descendants of Edemons Noel:Corrects top of above tree Added 2019
- Noel baptisms in Jersey
- Noel marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Noel marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Noel burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Noel and Porter, King Street department store
- H Noel was a grocer selling wines and spirits at 25 King Street in the 1830s
- Hugh Noel was a grocer at 22 Halkett Place in the 1840s and then across the street at No 23 in the 1850s
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Alexandrine Noel, nee Delphine, wife of Henry, of St Helier, was convicted by the Royal Court in 1914 of prostitution and keeping a disorderly house. She was sentenced to two months prison with hard labour
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty William James Noel at Puchevillers British Cemetery, near Abbeville
The grave of Great War casualty Alfred Felix Noel at Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos
The grave of Great War casualty Stanley John Noel at Le Touret Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L'Avoue
The grave of Great War casualty Walter Noel at Le Vertannoy British Cemetery, Hinges, near Bethune
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form