Noel and Porter

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Shopicon.png


Noel & Porter


BNA21Ad1899Noel&Porter.jpg




Clement Noel and William Porter, the husband of Clement's first cousin Mary Ann Noel, went into partnership as drapers in 1871 at Rutland House at the Charing Cross end of King Street


The business grew and premises were acquired at London House at the other end of King Street in 1880. The store acquired neighbouring properties and spread into Don House, on the corner with Don Street.

A memorandum of association was drawn up in 1888.

On 28 June 1890, as reported in the recently launched Evening Post, the business purchased the stock of Sorel and Le Boutillier, plain and fancy drapers, from the heirs.

Noel and Porter continued to trade from Rutland House at the other end of the town's main shopping street until 1899 when it held a grand sale before closing down the Rutland House outlet.

Sale

On 1 February 1953 the business was sold to Frederick Baker and Sons and Peter Baker became managing director.

In 1966 British Home Stores purchased the premises.

Jersey Archive holds a collection of business records relating to the formation of the company, board minutes, lists of shareholders, accounts and a scrapbook of news cuttings.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs