Rabet family page
The origins of this surname, which came to Jersey from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in Brittany are uncertain
Francois and Angelique Rabet
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is of French origin, probably from Brittany. We have not found a reference to it, or anything spelled remotely similarly, in any of our main French sources of surname origins.
However, the Internet Surname Database has a reference to Rabbe, which with a final 'é' would be pronounced the same. This suggests that the name is derived from the same source as the personal name Robert.
- "Coming from the old German, Hrodebert, a compound of the elements "hrod", renown and "berht" bright and famous. The name is occasionally found in England before the Conquest of 1066, but in the main it was the Norman's who introduced it to England."
It is has also been suggested to us that the name is derived from rave, an old vegetable. Betterave is French for 'beetroot', and rave, which is still very much in use, is French for 'rape' - the crop. We have not found any sources which substantiate the link to Rabet.
The surname does not appear to have been seen in Jersey until around 1880. A number of members of the family arrived in the island from Ploeuc-sur-Lie, a small town in north Brittany.
The name is still found in Jersey today.
- Rabet baptisms in Jersey
- Rabet marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Rabet marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Rabet burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916) son of Pierre and Victorine Rabet, Private, Royal Irish Fusiliers, died in grenade accident
- Francis Rabet (1896- ) (Tr) son of Guillaume and Angelique, Private RAF
- Henry Yves Rabet (1902- ) (St S) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Boy RN, HMS Danae
- Louis Joseph Rabet (1899- ) (St H) son of Pierre and Victorine, Stoker RN, HMS Inconstant
- Raymond Frank Rabet (1891- ) (St H) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Officer's Styeward RN, HMS Iron Duke
These wills created by members of the Rabet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Rabet : Alfred Francois , of St Clement - 09/Dec/1961 , 20/Aug/1964 , D/Y/B1/80/65
- Rabet : Aline Blanche , wife of Stanley John Benest, of 14, Quennevais Gardens, St Brelade - 06/Oct/1976 , 06/Oct/1976 , D/Y/B1/247/28
- Rabet : Angelique Marie , widow of Alfred Charles Gallichan, of St Saviour's Hospital, St Saviour and formerly of 17, The Parade, St Helier - 03/Oct/1963 , 25/Jan/1973 , D/Y/B1/185/31
- Rabet : Cyril John , of 6, Le Hurel, La Pouquelaye, St Helier and formerly of 3, Highfield Villas, La Pouquelaye, St Helier - 07/May/1947 , 07/Oct/1969 , D/Y/B1/137/15
- Rabet : Elise Marie , widow of Clarence Ernest Pinglaux, of 6, Ethelmar Villas, Route des Genets, St Brelade - 05/Nov/1975 , 05/Nov/1975 , D/Y/B1/230/35
- Rabet : Elsie Marie , nee Rimeur, wife of Yves Rabet, of Fair Oaks, St Clement - 29/Jul/1952 , 04/Mar/1961 , D/Y/B1/63/31
- Rabet : Guilleaume , La Grande Route, Augres, Trinity - 25/Jun/1924 , 28/Mar/1935 , D/Y/A/97/49
- Rabet : Jean Pierre Marie Mathurin , of St Clement - 25/Sep/1959 , 23/Apr/1960 , D/Y/B1/59/12
- Rabet : Jean Raymond , of Cortina, Pontac, St Clement - 02/Aug/1935 , 11/Jul/1945 , D/Y/A/113/147
- Rabet : John Yves , Vincent Hall, Trinity - 19/Jun/1914 , 17/Mar/1916 , D/Y/A/75/42
- China Quarry Farm, St Lawrence
Grace Jeanne Rabet was born in St Saviour in 1927, the daughter of Henri Yves (1902-1983) and Florence Anna, nee Gallienne (1905-1936). She married Kenneth George Davey (1924-2008) in 1958
Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916) killed in a grenade accident in the Great War
Pierre Rabet (42) was convicted by the Royal Court in 1914 for robbery. He was sentenced to two months prison with hard labour, followed by five years banishment to France, where he was born. His wife Victorine, nee Mettifer, was sentenced to four months with hard labour and also banished for five years
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Pierre Ernest Rabet at Sailly Labourse Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form