The Red Lion, whose name was recently changed to The Halkett, does not appear in the list of 98 St Helier taverns and inns in the 1834 Historical and Descriptive Guide of the Channel Islands, but it must have been built soon afterwards, because as historian Philip Ahier records in the Historical Hotels and Inns of Jersey, a horse-drawn bus service operated from there as early as 1845.
Halkett Place, in which, the public house still stands, was not a busy shopping street at the time, and the Red Lion was probably an isolated building opposite the first Halkett Place market. It was not until much later in the 19th century that the present market building was constructed, and by that time the Red Lion would have been surrounded by houses and retail premises.
The coaching inn, as it was then, was a two-storey building with a cellar in which casks of wine were stored. At the back were the stables; the yard is still there, surrounded by a high granite wall.
Philip Ahier's book, published in the 1970s, recorded that the Red Lion was 'one of the few inns which have escaped major alterations, and the interior is still very much as it was in days of yore'. That is no longer true, major alterations having taken place before the pub changed its name to the The Halkett and reopened in 2010.
It used to be one on the first coaching inn's in Jersey, in the early 19th century it ran a service from the inn to Gorey via its stables at the back in Waterloo Lane.
By 1861 George Colas and his wife Mary were the innkeepers, to be followed at successive censuses by John Smallecombe Giles, William Giles, Jane Brett, H T F Cross and Philip Winter de Quetteville.