St Aubin's Bay
Today a road runs the full length of the bay linking the two towns. The busiest stretch from West Park to Bel Royal is called Victoria Avenue, but the construction of this road, now a dual carriageway, was not undertaken until the final years of the 19th century, before which traffic passed further inland on St Aubin's Road.
The Jersey Railway line ran along the shoreline from 1870, and before that low sand dunes were washed by the high tide and the quickest way to drive a horse and cart from one end of the bay to the other was along the beach at low tide. When St Aubin was the island's principal port and St Helier was beginning to develop as a population centre, but without its own port, this is exactly how imported goods were moved from one town to the other.
- The building of St Aubin's Bay Seawall Added 2016
Click on any image to see a larger version