Carteret Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Carteret Farm, Grouville


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Carteret Farm

Other names

  • Carteret
  • Carteret House


Carteret Farm is not in Rue Jutize, Grouville, as sometimes suggested, but opposite the junction on the other side of Rue de Grouville

Type of property

Late 19th century farmhouse on a site occupied since the 16th century


The property was offered for sale at £785,000 in 2015 and sold for £730,000 the following year

Ownership history

The property belonged originally to the senior branch of the Jutize family. They were a prominent family in the parish and there were Jutize Constables in the 16th and 17th centuries, father and son Martin (15 years service) and Edouard (21 years service). When Edouard died, the property passed to his daughter Marie, who married Helier de Carteret, son of Francois, and the property took the family name.

Helier's ancestry can be traced back through the Vinchelez de Haut branch of the de Carteret family to the earliest de Carterets but it has not been possible to trace the line from Helier down to George de Carteret ( -1761), who was the last member of the family to own Carteret Farm. He was elected Constable of Grouville in 1760, but died the following year without children, and the farm passed to Jacques Filleul, son of his elder sister Judith de Carteret (1698-1761), who married another Jacques Filleul in 1719

George de Carteret was the first husband of Jeanne Suzanne Patriarche ( -1776), and was probably great-grandson of Helier de Carteret and Marie Jutize.

In 1881 Carteret House was occupied, presumably as tenants, by Francis Amy (1849- ), an agricultural labourer, his wife Mary Ann, nee Le Couillard (1845- ), a dressmaker, and their three-year-old daughter Mary Jane

The 1901 census shows Carteret occupied by farmer Philip Labey (1870- ), his wife Jeanne Therese Irma Julie de Verac de La Maurine (1873- ), who married in St Helier in 1898, and their one-year-old daughter Adele

The datestone below records the ownership of the Hemery family in the late 19th century, when the property was rebuilt


18 CH MGR 84 - For Charles Hemery and Mary Georgina Rundle

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This late 19th century house shows signs of an earlier core to the east. It retains a late Victorian historic character and contributes to its rural setting on a curve on the road. Recorded occupation at the site since the 16th century. The present house was built 1884-85 after the older property was demolished.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs