If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beaumarais Farm
Rue de Jambart, St Clement
Type of property
Mid-18th century farmhouse
Families associated with the property
- 17 DVM ♥ RAM 54 For Daniel Venement who married Rachel Amy in St Martin in 1752
- 18 DGD ♥♥ MVM 10 For David Gaudin and Marie Venement
Although it seems likely that Marie Venement was a direct descendant of Daniel, probably his grand-daughter, we have been unable to make the connection. Daniel and Rachel appear to have had only one son, another Daniel. Although we cannot find a marriage record for him, there was a Daniel, married to Jeanne Touzel, who had a daughter Marie at the right time. This is probably the link between the generations.
Historic Environment Record entry
Mid-18th century farmhouse with some early features surviving, particularly the large fireplaces, one of which is of particular note.
Stable retains 19th century partitions and other associated timber features.
The main house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Farmhouse with associated outbuildings attached. Two-storey with attic, five bays. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, dressed granite chimneys, 2 dormers.
Granite rubble wall of long, high barn, extends to north and south of house, now converted to accommodation. Small brick wash house to rear.
Single pile, double fronted, central hall and stairs. Some early features, notably granite fireplaces in two ground floor rooms: east room fireplace altered and largely infilled; west room fireplace, large opening, dressed granite lintel, incised corbels, small niches in side walls, larger cupboard niches in flanking wall.
Large granite fireplace in first floor west bedroom, corbels and granite lintel, possibly later insertion. Fireplace believed to survive behind later wall in first floor east bedroom.
Stable to west retains 19th century stall partitions for three animals, hay loft, flooring, runnel, exposed beams. Barn to east believed to retain little or no original features.
Old Jersey Houses
It is thought that the house was built in 1754, for Daniel Venement and Rachel Amy.
The property then passed by marriage to the Gaudins. Over the door of a side building is a datestone for David Gaudin and Marie Venement. David was a native of St Martin and he and Marie were parents of Daniel Gaudin, who was Constable of St Clement from 1839 to 1842.
By 1849 the house had passed to the Le Neveu family, J Le Neveu being shown as occupant on the Godfray map. This was Jean Le Neveu, who was Constable of St Clement from 1854 to 1860. Three members of the Le Neveu family were Constable, but it is thought that the first, also Jean, who was Constable from 1810 to 1813, served a second term from 1820 to 1823. He was the grandfather of the Jean who owned Chambard in 1849.