Mont du Ouaisne, St Brelade
Type of property
17th century farmhouse. Again an active farm and events centre.
Families associated with the property
- Le Geyt dit Maillier 
- Martin: P Martin on Godfray map
- De La Haye: In 1941 Joseph de La Haye (1888- ) and his wife Ada, nee Le Maistre (1889- ) were living here with their sons Clive (1919- ) and Roy (1923- )
None of the three datestones found at the property can be read in its entirety and there is disagreement over what is discernable
- 1716 ILM 
Historic Environment Record entry
A fine example of a traditional 17th century rural farmhouse, with associated outbuildings, with 17th/18th century datestones and retaining original exterior and interior features and fabric of architectural and historic interest. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
A 17th century house much altered in 18th century. Several fireplaces, but much altered. One in main sitting room has good chamfer stops. Some internal chamfered doorways. All windows retain some chamfering, lintels and holes for iron bars.
Barn now office and stables. Single storey extension to farmhouse to north on top of bank, now used as office. Stables to northeast have ladder stair, stone setts, beams and joists.
Old Jersey Houses
Apart from noting that the arch to this property is an unusual triple one, with a pedestrian arch which was probably added on to the original vehicle access, Joan Stevens has little to say about this attractive Ouaisne farmhouse in Volume 1
Mrs Stevens believed that the keystone inscribed 1698 probably came from elsewhere on the property and notes that part of the house are probably older. She describes it as 'clearly a 17th century house, much altered in the first half of the 18th century'.
In the second volume of her study of Jersey houses Mrs Stevens refers to the datestones at the property, but her interpretation of two of them has been challenged.
Notes and references
- ↑ A family of the same name owned Chestnut Farm at Mont-a-l'Abbe, St Helier. It seems likely, however, that neither property had been given this name at the time of the Le Geyt occupancy
- ↑ Recorded by Jersey datestone register. Given the connection with the property of the Le Geyt family, this reading of the inscription is probably more likely than the alternative ILC suggested
- ↑ Joan Stevens suggests that the husband's name is missing from the beginning of this stone and that ILM are the wife's initials. However, the Jersey Datestone Register disagrees, suggesting that the stone reads 16 ILM- I-, making the ILM the husband's initials and the date much earlier