If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- St Estienne
- La Malzarderie
- Le Jardin St Etienne
Rue des Chataigniers, St John
Type of property
Farmhouse and associated buildings with 16th century origins
Chestnut Grove was sold in 2014 for £2.1 million
Families associated with the property
- Langlois: In 1901 William Helier Langlois (1870- ) and his wife Emma Jane, nee Le Brocq (1873- ) were living here with Emma's parents Josue Le Brocq (1825- ) and Jane (1834- )
- Dolbel: Jean Dolbel and Jeanne Gasnier (see stone below)were married in 1798 and presumably moved into the property a few years later. The Dolbel association with Chestnut Grove goes back much further, however. The Extentes of 1607 and 1668 mention the Dolbels as being de St Estienne, the name associated with the property through the adjoining Clos de St Estienne. There are further references in 1749 to Jean and Richard Dolbels. The family appears to have owned property in St John and St Saviour over a century or longer.
We have not been able to locate any children of Jean Dolbel and Jeanne Gasnier.
- JDB 1805 - For Jean Dolbel
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group including a notable example of an early farmhouse with 16th century, or earlier, origins, with associated farmstead, retaining many surviving features.
A good example of a mid-18th century farmhouse (c1750), with many surviving features; and a mounting block with possible Neolithic cup-marked stone. Possible re-used prehistoric megalith.
La Malzarderie is circa 16th century, with possible earlier origins.
Site of Chapelle de St Etienne. Evidence of this is from the bénetier, a stoup and the neighbouring field (J899) named Clos de St Etienne. If there was a chapel here it would have been built like St Blaize to fill the void left by the Priory of Ste Marie de Bonne Nuit when it was suppressed in 1413. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Historic farm group: Farmhouse (Chestnut Grove) with earlier house and outbuildings to north (now called La Malzarderie and Le Jardin St Etienne). There is a nine-stone arch doorway with chamfered round arch and outer row of voussoirs. To its left is a trefoiled benitier, previously located at the base of the tourelle stair. Above the arch to the right are the carved arms of Langlois. Some pigeon holes on first floor.
Old Jersey Houses
Several features identify Chestnut Grove, Mont Mado, as dating from the 16th century. In Old Jersey Houses Volume 1 the author, Joan Stevens, speculates that this could have been the site of a chapel, possibly the Priory of Bonne Nuit. However, as is so often the case with issues such as this, she offers no supporting evidence, other than that a field opposite is called Clos St etienne, there is a Chapelle de St Etienne in St Martin, and no other site has yet been identified for a chapel in St Mary or St John.
- "We do know that there was a Priory of Bonne Nuit, dedicated to Ste Marie, of which the site is unknown, and this position is not an impossible one," is the somewhat vague assumption the author makes.
Notes and references
- ↑ Or 1703 or 1705