De Gruchy ships captains

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Captainicon.png


De Gruchy ships' captains and vessels


Caesarea1862Ouless.jpg

Charles de Gruchy was master of the steamer Caesarea in 1877



  • de Gruchy, Abraham (1827-1877), 4s of Jean of Mont Billot (Tr) and Bettey Pallot. He was Carpenter on the Jersey ship Harmony from 1852, with only one break, to 1859 and then Second Mate. He was described as "Honest, Sober and Faithful." His First (or Chief) Mate`s Certificate, (No. 25,870), was dated the 12th May 1862 and was issued at Plymouth. He was then Master of PRC in 1869, C. Columbus in 1870 and G. Peabody in 1877. He drowned off Arichat, Nova Scotia, Canada, with the loss of his vessel, in 1877.
  • de Gruchy, Abraham (1831-1864), 4s of Philippe Thomas of La Carrière, Longueville (Gr) and Marie Elizabeth Ahier. He settled in Limehouse, Middlesex. A master mariner, he died at sea in 1864. He served as an Apprentice aboard the Jersey vessel Joseph from May 1846, becoming a Seaman, sailing aboard the Newfoundland-registered Cornhill in 1849. He acted as Mate in 1852 aboard Lord Nelson, gaining his Only Mate`s Certificate and Second Mate`s Certificate on the 7th October 1853. He was then living in Rotherhithe. He later had the misfortune of being "left at Madras Hospital" in 1855, when his ship sailed. He gained his First Mate`s Certificate on 6th May 1858, serving then on Alligator of London. His Master`s Certificate (No. 444) was dated the 16th December 1859. He died at sea in 1864.
  • de Gruchy, Adolphus (1863-1930), 5s of Thomas John of Australia and Marguerite Germain. A mariner in 1901, he was a master at the time of his second daughter`s wedding, in 1926.
  • de Gruchy, Charles (1820-1868), 2s of Philippe of La Croiserie (Tr) and Ann Cabot. Master by 1855: Register entry on marriage. Captain Charles de Gruchy was from 1865 owner of the 232 ton brig Lavinia, Robert Youlton being the ship`s master. De Gruchy was drowned three years later, off Lundy Island, on the 23rd August 1868. His widow, Louisa Vickery, sold the vessel later that year to Youlton: Jersey Shipping Register, 1865-1868. De Gruchy`s Will, proved the 26/09/1868, left to his wife a house in Roseville Street backing onto Green Street Cemetery and another house in St Saviour`s Road.
  • de Gruchy, Charles (1826-1902), 2s of Thomas of Clarendon Road (St H) and Susan B. de Gruchy; brother of Philippe, below. He must have been at sea by 1842, if not before, as in 1844 he was an Ordinary Seaman aboard the brigantine Sultana of Jersey, owned by Le Gros and Romeril. In 1849 he was an Able Seaman, serving in 1851 aboard Aaron de Ste Croix`s 440 ton barque Dauvergne. From January 1852, he was for two years Second Mate of Messrs. Orange and Briard`s 328 ton brig Geffrard. He was First Mate of the Plymouth-registered ship Antagonist from 1854, for three years. His Second Mate`s Certificate (No. 7428) was issued on the 20th December 1852, his First Mate`s Certificate on the 20th February 1854. Finally, his Master`s Certificate, in the same number, was issued on the 9th May 1857. He was Master and owner of Xanthe in 1856, Master of the fine barque, Eliza Hands, 1863-1876, and Master of the steamer Caesarea, 1877- , the two latter as co-owner with, respectively, Le Maistre and Gallichan, his in-laws. He financed and had built, Peel Terrace, St Saviour, reserving there a house for his own retirement.
  • de Gruchy, Charles Abraham (1843-1872), 1s of Charles of 25, Chevalier Road (St H) and Marie Le Brun. He went to sea in August 1859, serving on the Robin and Company vessel C. Columbus until March 1861, when he transferred, as an Ordinary Seaman, to serve aboard Amicus, owned by Messrs. Orange and Briard. On the latter vessel, which traded in the Far East, he was both Able Seaman and Bosun. He gained his Second Mate`s Certificate at London on the 18th August 1864 and served in this capacity aboard another of his employers` ships, Fort Regent, which was credited, at the time, with being Jersey`s largest sailing ship. His First Mate`s Certificate was dated the 16th August 1866. He served as First Mate on Western Chief, registered in Plymouth, from 1866 until 1870, when he gained his Master`s Certificate (No. 31,868), dated the 16th July, that year. He died at sea of a fever in 1872.
  • de Gruchy, Elie (1783-1852), 4s of Jean of Le Câtel (Tr) and Esther Le Boutillier. Privateer captain, Hope, brig, 1809-1810; master and co-owner of Hazard, schooner, 1822, owner of Horatio, cutter, 1824, master and owner of Guernsey Lily, cutter, 1827-1839 and No. Two, cutter, 1837. The flag of the Guernsey Lily was, on a red pennant, a white and pink Guernsey Lily: Jersey and Guernsey Almanach, (1827), "Captain de Gruchy". Elie de Gruchy was latterly a merchant in Broad Street, (St H).
  • de Gruchy, Elie (1803-1866), 6s of Philippe de Gruchy of Maufant (St S) and Elizabeth Binet. Master of Marie, 1836, then of Two Friends, 1839 and Encore, 1840, all being Hocquard and Co. vessels. Retired to Laurel Lands, Maufant, at his wife`s insistence, after Encore struck rocks off the south coast of Jersey.
  • de Gruchy, Francis (1829-1900), 2s of Philippe of La Ville Machon (Tr) and Marie Le Brun; brother of Peter and John Walter, below. He was master of various vessels and owner of Crown in 1876. Lived at La Profonde Rue (Tr) with his wife`s family.
  • de Gruchy, Francis (1831- ). Born in Trinity, Jersey, he went to sea as a "Boy" in 1845, aboard the 169 ton brig Lady Falkland, owned by Jersey merchants de Carteret and Le Vesconte of Arichat, Cape Breton Island. By 1847, he was an Ordinary Seaman. From 1853 to 1855, he was a Bosun and briefly, (from January to December) in 1857, aged 25, he was Master of Commodore, an 88 ton schooner, before returning in 1858 to his former rank of Bosun, aboard Messrs. Le Boutillier and Co.`s 99 ton schooner Pandora. He was promoted to Mate in 1859, remaining with the same owners, but moving to their 131 ton brig, Teaser until the end of 1862. He officially gained his Foreign Going Master`s Certificate (No. 27597) after an examination at Plymouth, on the 9th February 1863. There is a break in de Gruchy`s record of service between 1864 and 1872. Applying for a "Renewal of Master, Mate or Engineer Certificate [27597]" (sic) on the 4th November 1881, he listed vessels he had served aboard, whether as Master or Chief Officer, since 1873. These were all steamships, to which he had evidently converted. They included S.S. Britanniain 1880 (Chief Officer), S.S. Cordillera, in 1881 on a voyage from Liverpool to Valparaiso, Chile, and back (Master), and S.S. Arancaina (Master). He returned to the S.S. Cordillera as Master from 1882 to 1884, in the East Indies trade. Renewed Master`s certificate (1881), No. 010736.
  • de Gruchy, Francis (1833- ), 2s of Jean of Le Hurel, Croiserie (Tr) and Susanne Le Sueur; brother of George and Philippe, who both feature below. The Lloyd`s Captain`s Register has him as “Born 1833, master of Teaser, 1863-1865 (N. America trade), British Sovereign, 1866-1867 and Herald, 1868 (Mediterranean trade).” Brother of Philippe and George, both of whom are below.
  • de Gruchy, Frederick Abram (1852-1940), 4s of Jean of Les Vaux, Rozel (Tr) and Caroline de Quetteville. Master of Velocity, tea clipper, prior to a tropical storm in 1883, off the south coast of China, during which she foundered. He was nine days at sea with 14 members of his crew, in lifeboats, eluding Chinese pirates. He settled in Cape Town, where he established a thriving hardware business: Dr Z A and Mrs M J de Beer, The de Gruchys of South Africa, (1996), 8.
  • de Gruchy, George (1855- ), 8s of Jean of Le Hurel, Croiserie (Tr) and Susanne Le Sueur; brother of Francis, above, and Philippe, below. He was master of a whaling ship, based in St John, Newfoundland. He finally retired to Coxackie, New York.
  • de Gruchy, George William Vernon (1815- ), 4s of Charles of 30, Colomberie (St H) and Elizabeth Falle. George (as he called himself) gave his date of birth as the 27th May 1815. In the 1851 St Helier Census, he was staying with his married sister, Jane Stone. His age, as then given, agrees with the 1815 date of birth, he being then aged 35 years. His parents, with eleven other children to occupy their time, had evidently not got around to his christening until its recorded date, the 15th January 1817! Initially a Sailmaker, he became a mariner and had served 17 years in the British and Foreign Trade, by the 6th August 1851, when he gained his Mate`s Certificate (No. 60.309). His career featured an early variety of destinations: Brazils as Sailmaker (1834-1836), West Indies as Ordinary Seaman (1836-1838), East Indies as Second Mate (1838-1843), Newfoundland (1843) and Coast of Africa as Second Mate (1843-1845), Mediterranean as Mate (1845-1846), again to the Brazils (1846-1847) and to America and the West Indies (1847-1850)! He is thought to have become a Master after settling abroad--perhaps in Australia.
  • de Gruchy, George Charles (1848-1915), 6s of Thomas of Le Ménage, Rozel (Tr) and Douce Renouf; brother of Thomas and Philippe, below. A fourth brother, Charles (1842-1865) was, aged 22, the holder of a Second Mate`s Certificate but drowned a few weeks later. Although J. Jean had no details of George Charles de Gruchy: Jersey Sailing Ships (Phillimore, 1982), 136, these are now available. He served as Ship`s Carpenter on the Jersey vessel Ocean Queen from 01/06/1865 until February 1866 and then, from 1866 to 1870 on Ernestine, a London-registered ship, as Able Seaman and latterly as Third Mate. He gained his Second Mate`s Certificate on the 26/05/1870, his First Mate`s Certificate on the 8th December 1871 and his Master`s Certificate on the 16th April 1874. He was London-based for most of this time, which may account for John Jean`s being able to discover few details of his career. He afterwards left the sea for a post in Jersey`s Customs Service, as Inspector of Foreign Cattle.
  • de Gruchy, Helier Amice (1849-1917), 1s of Helier of Bethel House, Val de la Mare (St P) and Mary Le Gresley. He gained his Second Mate`s Certificate on the 20th May 1868, his First Mate`s Certificate on the 11th May 1871 and his Master`s Certificate (No. 87969), in London, on the 13th October 1874. He was master of Lapwing, 1880-1892, in the Pacific and Australian trade.
  • de Gruchy, Henry (1854-1934), 2s of the Revd. George, of Stoke St Milborough, a Jerseyman, and Mary Ann Burrill. His Master`s Certificate (No. 98163), was issued at Liverpool in 1880. He was sent, aged fourteen, to the Sail Training Ship Worcester from 1868-1870. He then sailed aboard the ship British Nation of Liverpool, from 1871-1875, latterly as Fifth Mate. There followed a year in that rank aboard British Ambassador, before moving to the Sierra Line in October 1876 as Second Mate, having gained that Certificate on the 19th June 1874. The First Mate`s Certificate followed, on the 14th May 1878. In 1880, he became, at the age of 26, a clipper captain, having gained that certificate, as above. He was then Master of Sierra Morena, 1880, (East Indies), Sierra Blanca, 1881-1888 (North Pacific, Australia, United States of America and East Indies) and Sierra Ventana, 1890-1902-. As he had his wife and children aboard, he advertised once in a San Francisco newspaper for sailors who neither drank nor swore! The log-book of the Sierra Ventana was of particular interest to the Maritime Historian, J. Jean, who had hoped to have it published. The reason was that it been kept by a woman and written from a woman`s perspective. Mrs de Gruchy had been so often and so long at sea, in all weathers, with her husband, that she had eventually offered to relieve him of his log-keeping duties! In his retirement, Captain de Gruchy had been approached, in his later years, for a donation towards a Sailors` Benevolent Fund. He retorted "Sailors! Sailors? -- there aren`t any. There are none left!"
  • de Gruchy, Jean ( -1721). Commander of the Royal Anne Galley privateer of London.
  • de Gruchy, Jean. Master of Adventure, 1760-1764.
  • de Gruchy, Jean. Master of the 6 ton privateer Lively, the owners being Jeune and de Ste Croix, 1782.
  • de Gruchy, Jean (1810-1879), 2s of Philippe of La Ville Machon and Marie Magdelaine Renault. He was master and owner of Royal George, schooner, 1839-1856. He lived at Winchester Street (St H).
  • de Gruchy, Jean (1815-1893), 1s of Jean of Croiserie and Julie de Gruchy. His career was unusual in that he joined the crew of the 167 ton Jersey brig Doris (owned by Messrs. Janvrin and Company), as a "Boy" and served aboard her for twenty-one years, the last nine of which were as Master. He had, before this, been Mate for two years. The ship and her crew had been in the "Foreign Trade" for the entire period, trading with Newfoundland. Unlike some masters, who had been in their role well-before the start of the Register, he applied for, and acquired his Master`s Certificate (No. 38,437), this being on the 5th February 1851. He was afterwards master and co-owner, with Robin, of Ariel, a schooner, 1859-1861-. He lived at Clearview House, Croiserie (Tr).
  • de Gruchy, John (1844- ), 3s of Pierre of La Forge, Rondin (Tr) and Anne Mattingley. He was both Apprentice and Ordinary Seaman aboard Pellier and de La Taste`s 641 ton barque Lucknow from 1859-1860. By 1864 he was an Able Seaman serving on a Liverpool vessel and from 1868-1870 was Second Mate of Sandbach of Liverpool. He had taken in that port, his Only Mate`s Examination, passing this and receiving his Certificate on the 24th December 1866. His address there was The Sailors` Home. He gained his First Mate`s Certificate on the 28th February 1870 and his Master`s Certificate (No. 84293) on the 17th July 1874.
  • de Gruchy, John (1854- ), 1s of Jean of Blanche Pierre (Tr) and Susanne Le Breton; nephew of Philippe, below. Master, aged 27, of Kate at Milford Haven Docks: 1881 Census, Milford Haven.
  • de Gruchy, John Walter (1838-1920), 5s of Philippe of La Ville Machon (Tr) and Marie Le Brun; brother of Francis, above and Peter, below. He went to sea as a "Boy" in April 1852 aboard the Caroline of Arichat, Canada. He was next an Ordinary Seaman on Lady Falkland in 1853, both of which vessels were engaged in the Foreign Trade. 1854 found him serving aboard the Red Rover of Shields, in the Coastal Trade and 1854-1855 on a voyage to Adelaide, Australia aboard Evening Star of London. In 1864-1865, he was Second Mate of Messrs. Le Boutillier and Company`s brig Teaser, this being employed in Jersey`s `cod trade`. From 1865-1866, he acted as Mate of Alice. His First Mate`s Certificate, was issued at Plymouth on the 14th February 1867, and his Master`s Certificate (No. 84654) was dated 12th November 1869. He evidently spent, at some stage, time ashore, as in December 1878 he needed to renew his Master`s Certification. His new certificate was numbered 05981. He finally retired from the sea shortly before 1881.
  • de Gruchy, Matthieu (1669-1726), 1s of Michel of La Chasse, Rozel (Tr) and Marie Le Couteur. Master of the 8 ton privateer James Galley, 1708, with a crew of 16, armed with one gun, Edward Browne and Philip de Carteret of Jersey, owners. “James Siberell”, Lieutenant, John Gibs, Gunner and John Slous, Boatswain: TNA: HCA26/13/70. Matthieu was almost certainly the “Captain de Gruchy” who commanded one of two privateers in 1708, employed by the States of Jersey to guard the Island: Actes des Etats, I, 34.
  • de Gruchy, Matthieu (1814-1851), 1s of Matthieu of London and Francoise Le Cappelain. Master of Despatch, brigantine, Hamptonne and Barreau, owners, 1840-1842; then of Thetis, de Quetteville, owners, wrecked on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua, on the 7th July 1851. Captain de Gruchy attempted the overland journey to the Caribbean, with one crew member and the ship`s papers. He was murdered by brigands near Pueblo Nuevo, northern Nicaragua.
  • de Gruchy, Peter (1834- ), 4s of Philippe of La Ville Machon (Tr) and Marie Le Brun; brother of Francis and John Walter, both of whom feature above. He was master of the 138 ton brigantine Jessie, 1857.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1767-1831), 1s of Philippe of Maufant (St S) and Elizabeth Le Geyt. He was probably the master of Masquerade, 1809-1810 and other vessels. There is perhaps some confusion with Philippe, below.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1768- ), 3s of Jean of La Mare (St My) and Elizabeth Remon. He was master of the Guernsey packet Peggy, 1799-1801 and then of the Southampton packet Fame, 1802, when it was seized by the French in the Cherbourg Roads [A. C. Saunders, Jersey in the 18th and 19th Centuries, 113], where, during a brief period of peace between France and Great Britain, it had taken shelter during “a violent storm”. It carried a cargo of British manufactured goods for Jersey, which was confiscated, and twenty-five passengers, who were soon released, with their captain. He then became master of the 51 ton smack Maria, Dolbel and Giffard, owners, 1803 and then of Comus, 1804. He had married Marie Aubin of St Saviour, where the couple lived. He had sold this property by 1805 and left, as previously announced in local newspapers, to settle elsewhere.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1800-1852), 2s of Jean of St Helier and Esther Mauger. Master and owner of the vessel Fancy, 1849.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1801-1857), 3s of Thomas de Gruchy of Blanche Pierre (Tr) and Jeanne de Gruchy; uncle of John, above. He was master of George Canning, 1835, Prima, 1836, Adonis, 1838, Princess Royal, 1845; Stark, Commodore, and Fairy, 1847 and Gulnare, 1849-1851. He was latterly, as “Philip de Gruchy & Co.,” owner of the schooner brig Harriet and the schooner Ninus.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1818-1862), 1s of Philippe of Le Câtel, Rozel (Tr) and Marie de Gruchy; nephew of Elie, above, and grandfather of Philippe George, below. He was a Master Mariner and afterwards Centenier of Trinity. No further details.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1831-1895), 3s of Thomas of Croiserie (Tr) and Jeanneton Le Gros; brother of Thom, below. He began his seagoing career in 1847 as an Apprentice aboard Queen`s Courier, serving in that capacity until 1852. His Master`s Testimonial, relating to him, describes him as "Industrious". He then served as Able Seaman aboard St Andrew of Montreal until 1854, H.C. Kidston and Brittania until 1855, when he became Second Mate of the 361 ton Jersey barque Jane (Josué Deslandes, owner). He gained his Chief Mate`s Certificate (No, 16461) on the 28th February 1857. From 1857-1859, he was Only Mate of Philip Pellier`s 508 ton barque Phantom, the owner`s trade being, at this time, with India and the Far East. Philippe gained his Master`s Certificate on the 10th October 1860. His experiences during and after a hurricane were described in the Channel Islands Family History Society Journal, 29,334-5, an abridged version of which follows. The hurricane caused havoc in the bay of Matanzas, on the north coast of Cuba, during the night of the 7th and 8th October 1870, damaging the 190 ton brig Fairlina, owned by the Jersey firm, Le Maistre and Co. of Liverpool and commanded by Captain de Gruchy. The brig lost her jib boom, sprung her bowsprit, the figurehead was damaged and the jolly boat was lost. There was much damage to the stern but the vessel remained afloat. Sixteen other vessels within the bay were either aground or missing one or more masts and "several small coasters on shore, mere wrecks." Captain de Gruchy was able to employ two carpenters from the wrecked vessels and had effected sufficient repairs by the 20th October, to load a cargo of molasses. Further bad weather delayed his departure to Liverpool until the 29th. Years later, he retired to La Chasse, St John, where he continued the habit of a lifetime, by keeping a log on each day`s weather, farming activities and neighbourhood activities!
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1834-1878), 3s of Thomas of Clarendon Road (St H) and Susan Bettey de Gruchy; brother of Charles, above. He went to sea as an Apprentice on Messrs. de Carteret and Le Vesconte`s brig Lady Falkland aged 15 in 1849, remaining aboard, sailing in Jersey`s transatlantic cod trading triangle, until 1854, when his apprenticeship ended. He was reported as being "steady and sober". His next vessel was the full rigged ship Evening Star owned by John Le Bas, on which he was Able Seaman, until 1855. Aboard Alpha, the following year, he was at the age of 22, the ship`s Mate, until 1856. He gained his Second Mate`s Certificate that year, on the 24th May. He was Second Mate of Ann Nelson of Maryport, 1856-7 and gained his Only Mate`s Certificate at Plymouth, on the 5th June 1858. He was then Mate of Enterprise, a ship registered at St Kitts, in the West Indies, from July 1858 until November 1860, being recorded as "very good; recommended". Aged 26, he gained his Master`s Certificate (No. 15003). He was master of various vessels prior to 1868, according to the Lloyd`s Captains Register, and of Thetis from 1869. He was, though, described as “missing” in 1878 and “Dead” in 1880.
  • Philippe de Gruchy (1836-1869), 2s of Thomas de Gruchy of Le Ménage, Rozel (Tr), and shortly afterwards of St Martin, and of Douce Renouf; brother of George Charles (above) and Thomas, below. He went to sea as a Boy Sailor aboard Royal George, (1852) with his parents` near neighbour, Jean de Gruchy of La Ville Machon, as master and owner. He served in many ships before gaining his Only Mate`s Certificate on the 21st February 1865, aged 29 years, and his Master`s Certificate (No. 33,384) on the 11th October 1867. His ship immediately prior to gaining his Master`s Certificate was, like many of the ships he sailed in, a United Kingdom-registered vessel, Maid of Honour. He was drowned in 1869.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe (1842-1874), 4s of Jean of Le Hurel , Croiserie (Tr) and Susanne Le Sueur; brother of Francis and George, who both feature above. He went to sea as an Apprentice on Messrs. Orange and Briard`s Amicus from 1856 to 1860, in the Foreign Trade. He transferred to Geffrard from 1860 to 1862, to complete his Apprenticeship and serve as Bosun. Aged 20, he was then Second Mate aboard Era of London, from 1862-1863, then on the Glasgow vessel Commodore until 1864. He then served as Mate of Samuel of London from 1865 to 1867 and in that capacity on the Ayr-registered Doon until 1870. His Second Mate`s certificate (No. 27004) was issued on the 10th November 1862, his First Mate`s Certificate on the 6th June 1865, and his Master`s Certificate (No. 27004) in London on the 18th March 1870. His address in 1862 had been "Hurel House, Croiserie, Trinity", whereas that of 1870 was "11, Heath Street, Commercial Road, Stepney, London". He was master of Queen of Devon in 1874, being drowned in that year.
  • de Gruchy, Philippe George (1880-1969), Commodore, Clan Line, 1s of George Philippe of Le Câtel, Rozel (Tr) and Mary Ann Matilda Richardson; grandson of Philippe, above. He left home after a family row, aged sixteen, boarding Clement Richardson`s collier barque, then discharging on Rozel beach. He became an apprentice in a foreign-going vessel in Liverpool. Captain de Gruchy, who had begun his career at sea under sail, became the master of many steamships belonging to Clan Line, of which he duly became Commodore. When still a junior officer, his ship, in the early 1900s, put into a Brazilian port. Finding there a Jersey vessel stranded by the death of its captain and most of its crew from tropical fever, his reputation was greatly enhanced when he undertook to sail her back to Jersey with only a few crewmen, a task he completed, to the relief of her owners. He retired to Rozel, where his sea-going career had begun.
  • de Gruchy, Ralph Sydney (1902-1942), only s of Sydney of Bristol and Blanche Welshman. Orphaned at an early age, he was brought up by his paternal aunt and went to sea aged fourteen in 1916. He gained his 2nd Mate`s (Steamship) Certificate, 1923; 1st Mate`s Certificate in 1924 and Master`s Certificate in 1927. He lost his life when serving in the Merchant Navy in WW2, when he was master of S.S. Sheaf Mount. His name is on the United Kingdom Shipping and Seamen`s WW1 and WW2 Roll of Honour Memorial at Tower Hill, London.
  • de Gruchy, Thom (1822-1879), 1s of Thomas of Croiserie (Tr) and Jeanneton Le Gros; brother of Philippe, above. He went to sea an an Apprentice on board Nicolas Le Quesne`s 120 ton brig Medusa from 1835 to 1838, before moving to the 238 ton brig Guernsey Lily, in the same ownership, where he remained until 1841. The voyages were to Rio de Janeiro and "The Brazils", respectively. Between 1842 to 1844, he served as Le Quesne`s Second Mate and then Mate aboard the 278 ton barque Courier, again travelling to the Brazils. From 1844 to 1845 he was Mate of the 137 ton schooner Mastery, owned by Messrs. Carré and Alexandre, this time going to the Coast of Africa, whilst in the following year, he became the ship`s Master, going to the Mediterranean and back. He then captained two further vessels, going in one instance to the Mediterranean and in the other, to Buenos Ayres. On applying formally for his Foreign Trade Master`s Certificate in 1851, he was stated to have been at sea 16 years, as Apprentice, Mate and Master. The certificate (No.72077) was dated the 30th July, that year. He was afterwards Master of the 220 ton brig Exact, George Deslandes, owner, in the Australian trade. He is recorded as having taken many Jersey emigrants to that country, during the years of the Gold Rush. In his later years, he was a General Factor, in St Helier.
  • de Gruchy, Thomas, Commander in 1744 of the 12 ton privateer Good Fortune, with a crew of thirty. The owners were: Elias du Maresq, Philip and William Patriarche, Jean Perrochon, Henry Durell, Nicolas Le Cras and Aaron Gavey, merchants; Lieutenant: Charles Lewis: TNA, HCA26/4/36, 12 April 1744.
  • de Gruchy, Thomas (1769-1853), 2s of Philippe of Clos Durell, Croiserie (Tr) and Jeanne Alexandre, the latter being a sister of the privateer captain and shipowner, Charles Alexandre (died 1758). Master and owner of the Southampton packets, Rose, 1793-1804, Rose, 1804-1809 (lost with log), Rose, 1811-1825, the second as sole owner and the latter co-owned with Le Vesconte and Le Sueur. The first vessel, Rose, was armed with four cannon and by virtue of her speed, was exempt from having to sail in convoy. He was owner with Thomas Mallet of the privateer Robert and Jane, 1798, which was used from 1799 as a Plymouth packet. He lived in New Street (St H).
  • de Gruchy, Thomas (1833-1894), 1s of Thomas of Le Ménage, Rozel (Tr) and Douce Renouf; brother of Philippe and George Charles, both being featured above. He gained his Master`s Certificate (No. 30397) in 1864, at London and his Steam Certificate in 1880. He was master of Star of Bengal, 1887 and lived in Leytonstowe, Essex.
  • de Gruchy, W. Master of Encore, following the retirement of Elie de Gruchy, above.
  • de Gruchy, William (1846-1891), 6s of Jean of Surville (St Mt) and Esther de Quetteville. He was a Master Mariner, who lived in Faldouet (St Mt). He was co-owner in 1870, with his brother-in-law Jean Le Gros, of the cutter Bright, of which he had been Master.

Thomas and Gilles de Gruchy and Successors (1613-1689)

The Reverend J.A. Messervy found in the rolls of the Cour du Samedi that Thomas de Gruchy and his brother, Gilles de Gruchy, were in 1644 Armateurs, being a term that can equally apply to a shipowner or privateer. In their case, they were shipowners. The brothers were Trinity-born but lived in the south of St Lawrence.

Thomas de Gruchy, we learn from the Jersey Registre Public 22/91, had bought from Richard Dumaresq gent., fils Clement, in two parcels dated, respectively, 12th February 1613 and 17th October 1623, a house, quay and dependancies (warehouses/stores), situated in St Brelade, on the Fief de Noirmont, at St Aubin, to the west of the house of Jeanne Durel. The first date will mark the start of what became rapidly a successful wool merchant`s business. In 1623, the rest of the property was bought.

Gilles de Gruchy was perhaps a sleeping-partner in the firm. He had been Centenier, 1633-1637, and then Constable of St Lawrence, 1637-1643. Whilst his ship ownership in 1644 is unambiguous, it was his brother Thomas who seems to have run the business, conducting it from his own house and quay. The latter will have extended, as did others at St Aubin before the Bulwarks were built, from the house or garden directly to the harbour, enabling ships to be loaded and unloaded at all stages of the tide. Those not possessed of quays, performed this task by way of carts plying to and from vessels that sat on the sand at low tide. It is to be regretted, though, that not many names survive of such 17th century Jersey vessels.

Thomas had a son, Philippe de Gruchy (1625- ), who settled in London, no doubt originally as a merchant, because his first-cousin, the merchant Gilles de Gruchy junior, had also moved there, as Messervy discovered. However, Philippe evidently had no desire to return to Jersey, as his father, who was by then in his seventies, in 1659 sold the business and property, in equal shares, to his nephews, Elie and Martin de Gruchy, sons of his brother Gilles: R.P. 22/91 and 24/163. Elie was a Southampton-based merchant, who was to become Sheriff and then Mayor of that Town, whilst Martin lived in St Lawrence, where he was Centenier in 1664, whilst conducting the Jersey end of the business from St Aubin. This practice was far from unusual. St Lawrence mercantile families, such as the 17th century Bailhaches and the 18th century Benests, and merchants in St Peter such as the 17th century Thomas and Elie Pipon of La Fosse, father and son, all conducted their business affairs from St Aubin, to which they will have walked or ridden several times a week, sometimes staying overnight.

Part of a business account book, formerly belonging to this Martin de Gruchy, survives. Mention is made of his business, conducted in equal shares with his brother. The trade was in wool, which was sent to France (St Malo) for washing, before being brought back to Jersey to be made into woollen garments. These were then shipped to London or Southampton for sale, hence the `placing` of sons or agents in these places, to complete the cycle.

In 1677, Mr Elie de Gruchy sold to Mr Jean Le Cras, fils Jean, [R.P.22/91] his interest in the St Aubin property that, [translated] "the said [de] Gruchy, with the late Mr Martin de Gruchy his brother, had purchased, half by half from the late Thomas de Gruchy." This late brother, Martin, was the father of the solicitor, Martin de Gruchy junior, who was to become Jersey`s first Notary Public. The latter, on the 6th July 1689, together with his sister Rachel, wife of Mr Thomas Poingdestre, sold their residual interest in the same property to Le Cras. The business had been conducted for sixty-four years.

De Gruchy, Le Breton and Company afterwards Fiott, de Gruchy and Company

De Gruchy, Le Breton and Company was a partnership that commenced in about 1760, as London merchants and shipowners, trading with the Channel Islands, but also with North Sea and Baltic countries. The partners were Philippe Pierre de Gruchy (1733-1784), son of a former Rector of St Lawrence, and grandson of Martin (above), and Edward Le Breton, of a Jersey family long-established in the Vingtaine of Croiserie, Trinity. The firm was highly successful, owning, at times of war, privateers. A lucrative side-line was ship-broking, which included financing various ventures. When Charles Robin wished in 1766 to explore the formerly French-owned coastline of Lower Canada with a view to establishing cod fisheries there, rather than in Newfoundland, it was to this company that he is said to have applied for financial backing. The 41 ton brig Seaflower, in which he made the voyage, was in fact owned by Messrs. de Gruchy and Le Breton, together with Thomas and James Pipon, Philip Marett and Charles`s brother, Philip Robin: A.C. Saunders, Jersey in the 18th and 19th Centuries, (Jersey: Bigwood, 1930), 31.

  • John Fiott described the business, in the time of his partnership: "The house in which I am a partner is an old-established Jersey house. Henry Durell was chief of the house fifty years ago and was succeeded by Mr James Pipon, to whom succeeded Mr de Gruchy. Our chief business consists in purchasing ships and goods, by orders of our different correspondents to be consigned as they direct, in making their insurances in ships and goods, in buying and selling stock for them and receiving their dividends. Our connections are with the principal people in Jersey, from which island by our family connections we have the chief of business. With several of our friends we take a share in their ships. Another branch of our business is with Norway. We are connected with the chief House in that Kingdom, receiving cargoes of deals, masts, etc. to the amount of £50, 000 per annum. The Danish Ambassador now receives through our hands his yearly salary from the Court of Denmark. We have besides correspondents at Ostend, Hamburg, etc. with whom we do business on commission. Our commission business alone (exclusive of the concerns we occasionally take in ships for our friends) has for these three years past amounted to £2,000 per annum; this year it has exceeded it"--Fiott papers in the Société Jersiaise Library, cited by Marguerite Syvret and Joan Stevens in Balleine`s History of Jersey, (Chichester: Phillimore, 1981), 186.

De Gruchy & Fiott had shares in a large number of vessels, many of which were registered in London. These included "the London privateers...Belle of London (350 tons) and Sharp of London (350 tons), which were fitted out in 1778 and 1779, respectively": A G Jamieson (ed.) in A People of the Sea, (London and New York: Methuen, 1986), 159. The Jersey privateers Lynx (180 tons, sixteen guns), Minerva (200 tons, fourteen guns) and Beazley (160 tons, sixteen guns) were among the Island vessels in which they had part ownership. There exists a model of the latter.

The company`s financial standing was well demonstrated by the following. The States of Jersey had arranged a lottery to help finance Works at the Harbour of St Helier, which consisted then of merely two small quays. A.C. Saunders writes, in the above-cited work, Jersey in the 18th and 19th Centuries, 70, that "at their [Chamber of Commerce] Committee meeting of the 3rd November 1792 it was stated that the lottery had been a failure and the total loss sustained on the said lottery was L3348 15. 9. French currency. It was resolved to apply to Messrs. Fiott, De Gruchy & Co. to know "if its agreeable to them to advance the said sum upon the Security of the Dividends of the Stock of the Chamber receiving interest according to their said advance, as it`s the Intention of the Chamber to preserve their present Capital in the Stocks untouched." In this instance, the necessary advance was acquired three weeks later elsewhere.

A G Jamieson, op. cit., 179, wrote of Channel Island privateering from February 1793 to February 1794, that 36 commissions were issued to captains of Jersey vessels. In the bonds for these Jersey commissions, John Fiott and John Philip de Gruchy of Fenchurch Street were named as sureties 11 times. The latter was the nephew of Philip Peter de Gruchy, who had succeeded to his partnership.

Regrettably, during the Revolutionary War with France all foreign trade suffered. Furthermore, the now senior partner, John Fiott, "had been rather neglecting his business, for he was hoping to get into Parliament and had been accepted as candidate for the safe Whig seat of Harlow. But twelve days before the election (1797) he died at the age of 48": ABSJ XIII, 412. In 1796, he had received a letter from the junior partner, John Philip de Gruchy, who had married in 1791, admitting that he had been "gambling in the Funds and was absconding to America": op.cit. A relative of the original junior partner, Edward Le Breton, had, it transpired, been guilty of embezzlement. The firm, shortly afterwards, became insolvent.

De Gruchy vessels

Ships of Thomas de Gruchy, Master Mariner

  • 1793: Rose, 80 ton Sloop; where built unknown. Owner and Master: Thomas de Gruchy. Southampton trade, armed with four cannons; not obliged to sail in convoy. Owned 1793-1804.
  • 1798: Robert and Jane, 38 ton vessel, used as a privateer. Owners: Thomas Mallet, Merchant and Thomas de Gruchy, Master Mariner. Masters: Samuel Gasnier, 1798; Capt. Le Brocq, 1799; Capt. Bisson, 1799. Also used as a Plymouth to Jersey packet.
  • 02/02/1799: Anna Packet, tonnage unknown, Southampton packet. Owner: Captain Thomas de Gruchy.
  • 1804 Rose, 65 ton Cutter. Owners: Thomas de Gruchy, Philip de Gruchy and Philip Nicolle. Built in Jersey, in 1804; Southampton packet. Master: Thomas de Gruchy. Lost with log, 1809.
  • 1811: Rose, 80 ton Cutter, perhaps built in Cowes, in 1811. Owners: Le Vesconte, Le Sueur and Thomas de Gruchy. Master: Thomas de Gruchy until 1825.

Ships of Abraham de Gruchy

  • 18/12/1814: “Messrs. Godfray, De Gruchy and Le Brocq”, being an informal trading association for chartering and shipping.
  • 1815: “Messrs. Le Brocq, Godfray et Moi” [De Gruchy], as above [Abraham de Gruchy: Letter Book].
  • 15/08/1818: Friends, a Cutter, chartered by Abraham de Gruchy from London to export potatoes to England.
  • 15/08/1818: Rachel, a Cutter, chartered, as above, to export potatoes to England.
  • 26/09/1818: Tom and Mary, 114 ton Snow. Owners: Philip Godfray, François Jeune, Nicolas Le Quesne, John Thomas, Philip Le Feuvre, Abraham de Gruchy and Charlotte Benest (wife of Jean Benest, fils François), merchants and Philip Le Quesne, mariner. Masters: Philip Le Quesne (1818) and Philip Alexandre (1821). She was used in the general carrying trade and sold in 1826.
  • 07/06/1827: Rose, 80 ton Schooner, built in Yarmouth. Woman-bust figurehead. Owner: Abraham de Gruchy, merchant. Master: Philip Alexandre (supposed drowned, lost with ship and crew, by 1835). Used in the cod trade between Canada and South America, usually returning with either coffee or wines and spirits.
  • 06/02/1835: Canada, 144 ton Brig. Owners: Philip Pellier and Abraham de Gruchy, merchants. Master: Peter Le Feuvre. Used in the cod trade, she was sold in 1836.
  • 26/01/1848: Gem, 114 ton Brigantine, built in Poole, 1847. Owner: Abraham de Gruchy, merchant. Masters: Frank Le Marquand and Peter Horman (1853). Used in the cod trade, she was sold in 1855 to Messrs. Falle & Co. of Burin, Newfoundland. She was lost after touching upon a rock at Chateau Rouge, near Burin, in 1875, coming from Barbados.
  • 21/08/1851: Mary, 35 ton Schooner, built in Gaspé, 1847. Owner: Abraham de Gruchy, merchant. Master: George Gilman. Used in the cod trade, she was sold in Canada, 1855.
  • 27/01/1854: Friends, 196 ton Brig, built in Granville, 1853. Owners: Isaac Malzard, Charles Le Quesne and Abraham de Gruchy, merchants. Masters: Nicholas Richards (1854) and F.G. Jean. Trading directly with Brazil, she was sold in 1857.
  • 20/06/1855: Newnham, 148 ton Brig, built in Wales. Owners (1855): James Ashby Newnham, merchant, Peter Le Maistre of Liverpool, shipbroker, John Ereault, chemist and George Malzard, mariner. In Jersey Almanacs, under “Jersey Shipping”: "Charles Le Quesne and Abraham de Gruchy", who bought the vessel in 1856 (John Jean letter, 6/4/1987). Master: George Malzard. She was sold in 1857.
  • 13/02/1857: Canada, 156 ton Brig, of 99 foot length and 22 foot breadth, built in Gaspé, 1856. Owner: Abraham de Gruchy, merchant. Master: Peter Horman. Used in the cod trade, she was transferred to Messrs. de Gruchy, Renouf and Clement.

Ships of de Gruchy, Renouf and Clement

  • 1863 (13/10/1854): Circassian, 105 ton Schooner, built in Granville, 1854. Owners: Thomas Renouf and Thomas Deal, ship agents, Thomas Le Huquet, mariner, and Philip Mauger junr., merchant. Masters: Thomas Le Huquet (1854), John Amy (1869) and Edward Dupré. She was sold in 1874.
  • 1863 (15/09/1858): Hearty, 36 ton Dandy/Ketch, built in Jersey, 1849. Owners: Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants, Henry Philip Erith, mariner. Masters: Philip Hamon (1859) and Henry Philip Erith. John Jean states that she was wrecked on the 29/01/1900 on the Casquets.
  • 1863 (13/11/1860): Sara Horne, 199 ton Barque, built in Nova Scotia, 1846. Owners: Thomas Renouf, John Clement and Philip Mauger, merchants. She was sold on the 25/06/1861.
  • 1863 (12/09/1862): Dolphin, 54, then 63, ton Schooner, built by Picot of Jersey at Gorey Village Slip, 1862. Owners: Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants, Henry Philip Erith, mariner and Wm. Ph. de Gruchy (1870). Masters: Henry Philip Erith, J.F. Cort, and Charles de Ste Croix. She was sold in 1877.
  • 25/06/1863: Warrior, 163 ton Schooner, built in Newport, Monmouthshire, 1847, with a warrior figurehead. Owners: Thomas Renouf, John Clement and Philip Mauger, merchants and Wm Ph. de Gruchy (1869), merchant. Master: Charles de Ste Croix. She sailed from Boston Mass. to Newfoundland on the 06/01/1877 and was “never seen afloat again”. Letter by W.P. de Gruchy to The Collector of Customs, Jersey; “29th May 1877... The wreck of the Schooner Warrior on the W. Coast of Newfoundland was entirely broken up... not any sign of the crew.” Those believed drowned included Charles de Ste Croix, master, aged 43 years, Philip Sauvage, first mate, aged 30 years, Frank Hacquoil, aged 28 years, Edward Renels, aged 19 years, Philip Crepin, aged 18 years and Edward Goods, aged 16 years.
  • 1864: Swallow, 30 ton Schooner, built at Cape Breton, 1851. Owners: De Gruchy, Renouf and Clement. She left the owners` Jersey* list in 1880.
  • 27/03/1865: Harmony, 136 ton brig, built in Jersey, 1824 by Gavey and Nicolle. Owners: William Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and Philip Clement, merchants. Masters: Richard Philip Bertram, Thomas Gruchy and others. She was lost at Rose Blanche, off the Coast of Newfoundland, 09/12/1868: “the whole of the crew with the exception of Helier Arthur, were drowned.”
  • 1865: Nimble, 45 ton Schooner, built in Dartmouth, 1843. She left the owners` Jersey list in 1875.
  • 02/03/1866: Royal Blue Jacket, 94 ton Schooner, built at Cowes, I.O.W., 1854. Figurehead: A male figurehead wearing a royal blue jacket. Owners: William Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants. Masters: John Le Brocq, Frank Le Marquand and Philip Theodore Le Touzel. An oil painting of this ship passing Mt. Vesuvius in Italy, is in the possession of the Jersey Archives Service and is reproduced in J. Jean, Jersey Sailing Ships (Phillimore, 1982), facing page 19. She was sold to Cork in 1882.
  • 1867: Annie, 92 ton Schooner, built by Daniel Le Vesconte at First Tower, with a woman figurehead. Owners: as above. Master: John Beaugié. She was sold to France in February 1873.
  • 06/06/1868: Canada, 156 ton Brig; belatedly transferred to the list by the heirs of the late Abraham de Gruchy. Master: John Le Couteur Dorey (1866), John Thomas Orsato (1870), Captain Love (1886) and J.B. Poingdestre (1888). She was “totally lost on Figueira Bar, [Portugal] 26 March 1888”: see J. Jean, Tales of Jersey`s Tall Ships, (Jersey: La Haule Books, 1994), 91-3, for details of this shipwreck.
  • 31/03/1870: Sultana, 138 ton Brigantine, built by Clarke in Jersey, 1840, with a woman figurehead. Owners: as above. Masters: Edward Renouf (1870), J. Pirouet (1884), J.T. Carchuo (1887) and J.B. Poingdestre. She left the owners` list in the early 1890s.
  • 1870: Jessie, 36 ton Schooner, built in Cape Breton. Owners: as above. She left the owners` Jersey* list by 1880.
  • 22/04/1870: C. Columbus, 204 ton Brigantine, built in Paspébiac for Robin Brothers, 1825. She was sold by the latter. Owners: Wm. Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants. Masters: E.P. Le Feuvre and Captain Abraham de Gruchy (1870). She was sold abroad, 27/12/1870.
  • 1870: Aimwell, 40 ton Schooner. Owners: as above. She was lost on the coast of Newfoundland in 1873.
  • 1870: Brisk, 32 ton Schooner. Owners: as above. She left the owners` Jersey* list by 1885.
  • 02/11/1870: Eliza, 183 ton Barque, previously 191 tons, built in America?; a prize taken by H.M.S. Tribune in 1808 and owned for many decades by the former Nicolle & Company and previously captained by John Clement. Owners: Nicolle and then (1870) Wm. Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and the said John Clement, merchants. Masters: Many, including John Clement. She was lost in 1891, disappearing with her crew, on a voyage to Santos, Brazil.
  • 1871: Golden Era, 44 ton Schooner. Owners: Messrs. de Gruchy, Renouf and Clement. She left the owners` Jersey list by 1875.
  • 1871: Ostrich, 22 ton Schooner. Owners: as above. She left the owners` Jersey list by 1876.
  • 18/01/1873: Bonny Mary, 149 ton Schooner, built by Philip Bellot at Gorey, 1863, near the Tennis Courts, with a woman figurehead. Owners: Wm. Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants. Masters: Clement Pallot (former owner) and Elias N. Pallot. She left the owners` list in 1888.
  • 1874: Alabama, 18 ton Schooner, built in Canada. Owners: as above. Master: Philip Blampied (1873). She left the owners` list in 1876.
  • 1874: Alarm, 17 ton Schooner. Owners: as above.[1]
  • 1874: Comet, 19 ton Schooner, as above. She left the owners` Jersey* list in 1884.
  • 1874: Ellen, 16 ton Schooner, as above. She was sold abroad in 1879.
  • 1874: Laurel, 14 ton Schooner. Owners: as above.
  • 1874: Mountaineer, 60 ton Schooner, built in La Poile, Newfoundland in 1845 by Daniel Le Couteur, for Nicolle & Co. Owners: as above. She was broken up in 1875.
  • 1874: Rosanna, 23 ton Schooner, as above. She left the owners` Jersey* list by 1882.
  • 1874: Thomas, 19 ton schooner, as above.
  • 16/04/1875: Milton, 149 ton Schooner, built by Bellot and Noel at Gorey, 1863, near the Tennis Courts. Owners: Wm. Ph. de Gruchy, Thomas Renouf and John Clement, merchants. Masters: Francis Edward Benest (1873) and George John Le Marquand. She was wrecked near Aracaya, Brazil, 02/12/1880.
  • 1875: Laura, 10 ton Yacht. Owners: as above.
  • 15/08/1876: Martha Brader, 92 ton Schooner, built in Grimsby, 1856. Owners: Edward Clement of 75, Colomberie, mariner. Held under mortgage dated 13/05/1874 by Philip Payn and Philip de Gruchy (the latter a shareholder in De Gruchy, Renouf and Clement). Master: Edward Clement. She was wrecked on the 26/05/1886, off Terschelling, Holland. The crew were all saved.
  • 1877: Gipsy Queen, 24 ton Schooner. Owners: De Gruchy, Renouf and Clement.
  • 1877: Gannet, 13 ton Schooner. Owners: as above.
  • 1877: Blooming Dale, 40 ton Schooner. Owners: De Gruchy, Renouf and Clement. Master: Not known. She was lost on the Coast of Newfoundland, August 1882.
  • 1882: Amanda, 28 ton Schooner. Owners: as above. She left the owners` Jersey* list by 1885.
  • 1884: G.R.C., [being the owners` abbreviated initials]: 15 ton Schooner. She features in the owners` Jersey list in 1885 but was always registered abroad. [2]

Ships of Elie de Gruchy, Master Mariner, then Merchant

  • 19/04/1808: Hope, 57 ton Brigantine, Foreign built prize of war. Owners: John Le Vesconte, Francis Le Rossignol, both Merchants, Elias de Gruchy, Mariner and Master, Amice Le Geyt and Philip Romeril, both Mariners. Privateer, taken, with the Register in 1811.
  • 01/01/1822: Hazard, 61 ton Schooner, square sterned, carvel-built, with scroll figurehead. Built in Newfoundland, in 1820. Owners: James Bisson, Merchant and Co-Owner and Master: Elias de Gruchy.
  • 1824: Horatio, 28 ton Cutter, built in Cowes, Isle of Wight, in 1810. Owner and Master: Elias de Gruchy.
  • 27/07/1827: Guernsey Lily, 44 ton Cutter, built in Guernsey, in 1825. Owner and Master: Elias de Gruchy, 1827-1838. The vessel`s pennant was a pink and white lily on a red field: Jersey and Guernsey Almanac, 1827; "Captain de Gruchy".
  • 1835: No. 2, 20 ton Cutter, sold in 1837.

Ships of Philip de Gruchy & Co

  • 1847: Fairy, 52 ton Cutter, built by Bartlett, in Jersey, in 1847. Owner and Master: Philip de Gruchy.
  • by 1857: Ninus, 59 ton Schooner, built by Deslandes, in Jersey, in 1840. Formerly owned by de Quetteville.
  • by 1857: Harriet, Schooner-brig. This vessel and Ninus were co-owned, and so mentioned in his 1857 Will, by Philip de Gruchy.

Ships of Charles de Gruchy, Master Mariner

  • 13/08/1851: Agenoria, 116 ton Schooner, built by Deslandes, in Jersey, in 1840. Co-owner.
  • 1851: Dispatch, 43 ton Cutter, built by Le Sueur, in Jersey, 1851.
  • 12/1852: Renard, 126 ton Schooner-brig. Owners: Joshua Renouf, Merchant, John Renouf, Ironmonger and Charles de Gruchy, Master Mariner. "Wrecked at Dover, broken in pieces, 25th September 1860": Jersey Shipping Register.
  • 1856: Xanthe, 30 ton Schooner. Owner and Master: Charles de Gruchy.
  • 29/08/1862: Admiral, 200 ton Barque, later 215 tons, built in Dunkirk, France, in 1841. Owners: Edward Joshua Gallichan, Shipowner and Charles de Gruchy, Master Mariner, 32 shares each.
  • 1863: Eliza Hands, 264 ton Barque, built by Clarke, in Jersey, 1855. Owners: Le Maistre and de Gruchy, 1863-1876. Master: Charles de Gruchy, the co-owner. An oil on canvas painting of this ship survives within Captain de Gruchy`s family.
  • 1865: Eliza and Maria, 219 ton Barque, built in Jersey, 1864. Owners: Charles de Gruchy and Gallichan, 1865-1870.

Notes and references

  1. These smaller schooners were known as `Banks Schooners,` as such companies as De Gruchy, Renouf and Clement used them –or the ships` boats they carried -for actually fishing on the Grand Banks, off Newfoundland. Usually, they only operated as trading vessels with the year`s final catch, in the autumn. The larger vessels above were, however, used almost exclusively as trading vessels, carrying fish to South America or to the Mediterranean, where the cargo was sold. For the homeward voyage, coffee, sugar, wines and spirits were the usual cargoes.
  2. Vessels so designated were not necessarily sold. Certain Jersey firms, including de Gruchy, Renouf and Clement, transferred some or more of their vessels` registrations from Jersey to other, usually Canadian ports. The purpose, in the event of further 1873-style bank crashes, was to protect them from seizure by Jersey`s authorities. For details of the demise in 1886 of this partnership, see Abraham de Gruchy.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs