Drew de Barentin
Drew (Drouet) de Barentin Warden of the Isles 1309-1319
Drew was the grandson of the Drouet de Barentin who held the same office. Payne's Armorial (see below) is correct in stating that both de Barentins held the office, but has the timings wrong. Drew was too young to have held office in 1258 and was not appointed until 1309. During his period of office he was assisted by Pierre de Petitfeu. de Barentin was killed defending Mont Orgueil Castle during a French attack.
At what precise time this family quitted Normandy, where it had attained to distinction from the earliest historic period of that duchy, is not certain. It appears that previous to its emigration it was settled near, and took its name from, the village of Barentin, near Rouen. The first mention made of the name in England, is in the person of Alexander de Barentin, who is stated by Brayley, in his "History of Surrey", to have been baker to Henry II, circa 1160, and to whom the King gave much land in Cavcham or Cobham.
Shortly before the year 1220, Drew, Duit, Drocus, Drogo, or Drouet De Barentine, obtained, through circumstanccs upon which history throws no light, the important Seigneurie of Rozel and, in 1367, his descendants were possessed of extensive and valuable estates in Jersey, consisting of the manors and lordships of Rozel, Samares, Longueville, Dielament, and Les Augres.
Upon the authority of notes appended to the record of a lawsuit, that attended the eventual transfer of this property, it has generally been alleged that these large possessions wore bestowed, as a free gift, by the King upon this eminent person—part or all of it having escheated to the Crown, by the adherence of Engelramus de Fournet, Seigneur of Rozel, to the French monarch, at the period of the revolt of the Normans. But, as this same De Fournet appears in a Liberate Roll of 10 Henry III, as having been at that period in the King's service, it may, with greater probability, be surmised that part, if not all, of the property, was acquired by purchase.
Owing to his influential position. Drew de Barentine was constituted Warden or Governor of the Norman Isles in 1220. Although their names have not reached us, it appears probable he, at some period, governed by deputies, for in 1223 he is mentioned as having been in the King's service in Wales, and in 1225-6 he served among the English knights in Gascony. In 1230 he held, with Jane his wife, the manor of Cheveres, in Norfolk, in which year he was granted a weekly market, and a fair yearly, with free warren on his demesne lands there.
In 1239, being very aged, he appears as being accredited ambassador to Rome. He was succeeded in his English and Jersey estates by his son, William De Barentine, who died young, and who founded a chapel and hospital for lepers at Cheveres, and gave considerable lands and part of his lordship to endow them. His son, Drew De Barentine, was Governor of the Scilly Isles in 35 Henry III, 1251, and shortly afterwards held the same dignity in the Norman islands; vested with which, he was slain in 1253, in a gallant defence of the Castle of Mont Orgueil from an attack made on it by the French. Dying without issue, his estates were inherited by his nephew William, of whom presently. He appears to have had other relatives, not mentioned in the pedigree, among whom were Henry, who is mentioned with Eleanor his wife, of the county of Essex, in 1271 ; Stephen, with Matilda his wife, also of the county of Essex, in 1248 ; Drew, who was Seneschal of Gascony in 1260, and in 1264 was Constable of Windsor Castle, and who, by an Issue Roll of 61 Henry III., is paid for "going as the Queen's Messenger beyond the seas, 30 marks for his expenses ; " and in the same year is paid " £10 for palfreys, sumpter-horses, and harness for his two nephews, whom the King, in Gascony, decorated with the belt of a knight."