Rue de la Botellerie, St Ouen
Type of property
Early 17th century house
Families associated with the property
This house, dated to about 1660, was named after the Botterel family. The original owner was possibly Clement Botterel, who was Constable of St Ouen from 1601-1610. There are no records of any baptisms of Botterels at Jersey's parish churches.
Other sources suggest that a Thomas Botterel (1477- ) married Guillemine Hue in 1501 and that an Esther Botteril was born in 1610 and married Jacques Le Couteur around 1630.
Historic Environment Record entry
House of early 17th century origins, retaining historic character and some early interior features.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house with east wing. West extension arch gives access through to rear. Rear north outbuildings.
Main house: 2 storey, 4 bay. Front (south) elevation: slate roof with modern dormers and rubble stone chimneys. Rough-cast finish with exposed stone lintels to ground floor level and a traditional 9-piece stone arched entrance circa 1650.
Rear (north) elevation: a mix of later flat-roofed extensions/lean-to's, with timber windows. Central entrance: An unusual mahogany staircase of unknown date (possibly post 1900 one-off item) with turned balusters, a wreathed handrail with reeded upper portion. Ground floor west room has a beam, very ancient in appearance, that has a cut-out for the provision of a door (also seen at Petite Fosse, of presumed hall construction).
The ground floor east room also has a chamfered beam appearing late 17th century. Within this room is a stone fireplace with concave interior circa 1750 and a reused 16th century lintel. As far as is known the beam in the ground floor west room with door-recess provision has not been noted elsewhere.