La Ville de L'Église, St Ouen
Type of property
House with possible earlier origins circa 1500.
Families associated with the property
The home of Pierre De Carteret first Constable of St Ouen
- Lucas: Owned in 20th century by Max Lucas, Jurat and former editor of Jersey Evening Post
Historic Environment Record entry
Late 18th/early 19th century with possible earlier origins circa 1500. The house and outbuildings are well constructed and of good quality stone. The building occupies a prominent site and adds much to this area.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The house appears to have been rebuilt in the late 18th or early 19th century with possible earlier origins (circa 1500) still incorporated into the gable walls.
Main house with rear outbuildings to north, both east and west extensions and a long stable-range to the south.
Main house: two-storey, five-bay. Front (south) elevation: slate roof with render chimneys. Coursed squared stone construction, with mainly rough-worked openings/quoins. Re-set above the door lintel is a shield of arms of de Carteret. The rear (north) elevation was not surveyed.
East and west extensions: single storey 2 bay. Slate roof. Rendered. Timber windows/door. South stable-range: single storey, 9 bay. Slate roof. Coursed squared stone construction, with a mix of brick/stone openings. Timber windows. Its south gable wall has a wide opening with brick elliptical arch and a keystone dated 1843. At the apex is a carved shield of arms similar to the one over the house door, but with carved rabbits as supporters.
The central entrance has a simple doglegged staircase with a flat handrail, stick-balusters and square-newel post circa 1780. There are 6 panel doors throughout with plain mouldings circa 1830.