La Chesnaie

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


La Chesnaie, St John


G20LaChesnaieStJ.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

W20LaChesnaieStJ8.jpg

Property name

La Chesnaie

Location

Rue de La Chesnaie, St John[1]

Other names

  • La Chenaie

Type of property

Former farm

Valuations

The property was offered for sale for £6.5 million in2020

Families associated with the property

  • Norman: In 1881 the property was occupied by retired farmer Philip Norman (1836- ) and his wife Sophie, nee Nicolle (1837- ) [2]
  • Vautier: The 1901 census shows the property occupied by farmer John Vautier (1863- ), his wife Alice, nee Syvret (1864- ), their children John, Alice and Vera, and Alice's father George Syvret (1835- ), a retired mariner

Datestones

  • 1681
  • 1754
  • 1861

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An unusual farm outbuilding, likely mid-18th century, incorporating interesting decorative stonework from a much older house – previously situated to the east. Slate roof, clock tower.

Randomly coursed squared granite, 19th century elliptical arch as carriage gate. Various other arches including chamfered Jersey round arch, gable stones and carvings

Several carved faces which appear to be from a fireplace circa 1550. North end has window designed as a benetier, with chamfer stops.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Old Jersey Houses

Said by some to be the birthplace of Wace, the Jersey-born poet, 'this farm claims our close attention'.

The present dwelling house is of no age, but the farm buildings, which run northwards towards the road, have many stone features incorporated in them. There is a shield dated 1681, a straight stone dated 1754 and a keystone dated 1861.

The owner, Mr A Norman, whose ancestors have lived there for many generations [3], thinks 1754 was the date when these stones were incorporated. There are several arches, which have all been altered. Mr Norman believes that all the stone features were moved by one of his ancestors from an earlier house, situated to the east, and this he had been told was a monastery

Notes and references

  1. This road crosses the border with Trinity and is not to be confused with Mont de La Chesnaie, St Lawrence, where there is also a property called La Chesnaie
  2. It has not been possible to place the couple in any of our family trees. They do not appear to have had any children
  3. Although the 1881 census shows the property occupied by Philip Norman and his wife, buy 1901 the Vautier family was living and farming there
W20LaChesnaieStJ3.jpg
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs