La Maison du Coin

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Jersey houses

St Brelade:

Maison du Coin


Maison du Coin is an L-shaped house with an older east-facing wing. The main features of the south-facing wing are dated by Joan Stevens in the first volume of Old Jersey Houses to the 18th century, but parts of the property are undoubtedly older because it is known to have been occupied by the Seale (Scelle) family in the previous century. There is a stone, moved from one part of the property to another, dated 1606. Jurat Thomas Seale died in the house in October 1646. In 1635 he had married Anne de Carteret, sister of Bailiff Sir George Carteret.

The house was later owned by Pierre Jean de Villeneuve, whose daughter Elizabeth married John Low (or Lowe), of Scotland, father of Alexander, the first States Deputy for St Brelade (not the Deputy, as stated in Old Jersey Houses). Alexander married Henrietta Alexandre, and their daughter married the Rev G J Le Maistre, in whose family the house remained until the second half of the 20th century.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs