Maison de St Jean

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Maison de St Jean, St John


H20LaMaisonDeStJean.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Maison de St Jean

Location

Grande Route de St Jean

Type of property

Large, imposing country house with 17th century origins

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Sarre: The house belonged to the Sarre family in the 16th century. In 1540 Michel Sarre was Constable of St John and a very rich man. His widow's hasty and secret marriage, the moment he died, to Edouard de Carteret, the Bailiff's illegitimate son, was a cause celebre at the time. The son was imprisoned, but did not pay the penalty for the murder of Michel, which he was tought to have committed. The marriage took place in the ruined chapel of the Prieure de Lecq, the Prior being Philippe l'Hermite, and it must be been a very shady business. The last member of this line was Rachel Sarre, who married Thomas Lempriere of Les Augres in about 1594.
  • Lempriere: Their descendant Josue Lempriere [1], who had married Esther Le Couteur in 1693, had his initials put over the front door, surmounted by a plque with the three Lempriere eagles, and ILP ELC 1696

Datestones

W16MaisonStone.JPG
  • TLP 1626 - For Thomas Lempriere
  • ILP ♥ ELC 1696 for Josue [2] Lempriere and Esther Le Couteur

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This large house, with 17th and 18th century origins, is of an unusual plan form for Jersey and retains its historic character and some features. John McCormack Channel Island Houses identifies the earliest build phase as 1626 and records a resited medieval carved head from a previous house.

This house, which is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795, has been rebuilt many times through the years. The front door is recessed, with wings coming forward, rather like that at Samares Manor, but in simpler form.

The range of buildings at the back was originally farm and outbuildings, and the house was probably an old one refaced in the 18th century. The cloister connecting the two was built in 1953.

There are extensive 20th century conversions and alterations at the rear and east. The interior of the main hall retains some original features, including a large hall with a wide, shallow staircase which is unusual in Jersey houses.

Old Jersey Houses

The third storey, which is fairly recent, is a dummy, the windows lighting attics and lofts.

Notes and references

  1. Not Jean, as shown in OJH
  2. Not Jean, as shown in OJH
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs