Morley family page
The family came to Jersey from Devon at the beginning of the 19th century.
Richard Basil Morley, Elizabeth and Cyril
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a locational name from any of the various places called Morley in Cheshire, Derbyshire, Durham, Norfolk and West Yorkshire, or Moreleigh in Devon, deriving from the Olde English mor meaning marsh, moor or fen plus leah, wood or clearing, hence 'leah by a fen or moor'. The surname dates back to the early 14th Century
The Morley family has only been present in Jersey since the beginning of the 19th century, when John Morley, who can be found in the tree below, arrived from Devon. A second Morley family arrived from Leeds, Yorkshire.
- Morley baptisms in Jersey
- Morley marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Morley marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Morley burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Cyril Bernard Morley (1899- ) (St H) son of Reginald John and Florence Ellen, RNAS, RAF
- James W Morley, Private, RJGB, from UK
- William Morley, Private, RJGB, from UK
Sons of George Lyddon Morley and Mabel Ingram, nee Wheeler
- Lionel St Helier Morley DSO (1876-1954) (Jer) OV, Lieut-Colonel Sherwood Foresters
- Lyddon Charteris Morley OBE (1878- ) OV, Lieut-Colonel Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Morley family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Morley : Charles Thomas , of Cri de la Mer, Parcq de l'Oeillere, La Pulente, St Brelade - 27/Nov/1967 , 25/Sep/1972 , D/Y/B1/180/34
- Morley : James Alfred , of The Rest, Mont les Vaux, St Aubin, St Brelade - 11/Jun/1957 , 12/Jul/1971 , D/Y/B1/161/30
- Morley : James Haddon , of La Maison de la Valette, Trinity - 03/Feb/1977 , 03/Feb/1977 , D/Y/B1/253/10
- Morley : Margaret Jane , nee Leech, wife of Herbert William Morley, of Mafeking, Saville Street, St Helier - 23/Jun/1934 , 26/Sep/1952 , D/Y/B1/15/54
- Morley : Maria Louisa , widow of Arthur Morley, of La Hauteur, St Brelade - 15/Jul/1953 , 06/Apr/1964 , D/Y/B1/79/3
- Morley : Sara Elizabeth , Le Hauteur, St Brelade - 19/May/1941 , 30/Apr/1943 , D/Y/A/110/129
- Morley : William John , of 4, Rouge Bouillon, St Helier - 26/Apr/1934 , 04/Jul/1951 , D/Y/B1/10/40
- Morley : Winifred , widow of Walter Scott Humphry, of No 16, Victory Drive, Forest Town, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, formerly of Jasmine Cottage, Leeming Park, Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire - 11/Mar/1977 , 27/Jul/1978 , D/Y/B1/283/23
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form