There was a YMCA hostel at 16 New Street, occupying premises owned by A de Gruchy and Co. The YMCA first came to Jersey in 1858 and moved to the New Street premises in 1909. In 1963 the organisation was given six months notice to quit the premises because the company had earmarked the area for expansion. That expansion never took place and eventually the building was given to the National Trust for Jersey, who undertook a complete renovation in the 21st century. This picture was taken in 1957.
The view from New Cut, across the King Street junction to New Street in 1935 - George V's Silver Jubilee year
The Ouless family home in New Street
New Street businesses
Photographer Ernest Baudoux and son at No 59
The Prince of Wales Hotel was on the corner with Union Street in 1873, run by John Sinel. His clientele might have had trouble finding him because his establishment was at 36 New Street, making the corner with 1 Union Street, not the other was round, as shown in this advert