No 12 Queen Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

12 Queen Street


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Hipps, on the right edge of this 1930s photograph, was at No 12 from 1930 to 1960

Property name

12 Queen Street


Queen Street, St Helier

Type of property

Victorian town house and shop


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

In 1833 J Ereaut was trading here as a boot and shoe maker.

Philip John d'Arthenay (1814- ), born in St Helier, is the next occupant we have been able to find. He was a wine merchant and was living at the premises in 1851 with his English wife Sarah, nee Bell (1819- ). They had two children, Eliza Jane d'Arthenay (1844- ), who is not shown in the census, and must have died in infancy, and Philip Thomas, not born until 1858. He is shown with his parents in the 1861 census. Ten years later the d'Arthenays are shown next door at No 14, and James Belford was trading at No 12. He was still there in 1880, and a No 12½ appears for the first time, with A Amy in business as a hosier.

No 12 appears in a 1852 trade directory, showing Charles Taroni, jeweller, but other records suggest that this must have been a misprint for No 10.

By 1890 the premises had become Larbalestier's Toy Warehouse. The following year's census shows that this was run by Frank Larbalestier, a widow, who was living with his daughter Louise, born two years earlier, and his sisters-in-law Elizabeth and Marguerite Renouf. This was Frank Richard Thomas Larbalestier (1856-1922), born in Southampton, the son of Philip Larbalestier (1830- ) and Harriet Blake (1830-1856). Philip was the brother of Formula 1 champion racing driver Lewis Hamilton's great-grandfather. Frank was married to Elizabeth and Marguerite's sister Amelia, who died in 1889, probably in childbirth, and he later married Elizabeth. Philip and Amelia had two sons born in 1881 and 1886, but they do not appear in the 1891 census.

The toy warehouse was still in business in 1896, and it was followed by The Bazaar in 1905, Automatic Company in 1919, Hipps Ltd from 1930 to 1960, jewellers Time in 1970, before it became part of H Samuel.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Prominent, late Victorian shop with decorative details surviving, which contributes positively to the streetscape. Three storeys plus attic, two bays. Now combined into one shop with No 10

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs