Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
16 Queen Street
Grand Hotel du Calvados
Queen Street, St Helier
Type of property
Modern shop, formerly town house and hotel
In 2007 16 Queen Street, stretching through to 27 Hill Street, was sold for £5 million
Families associated with the property
Draper J Rowland and milliner Mrs Marett were listed here in 1833-34. The 1851 census shows goldsmith Wolfe Issachar, born in Plymouth in 1823, living there with his 13-year-old nephew Sam.
By 1852 a trade director shows milliners Gosset and Le Ber trading there. The 1861 census names the milliners resident there than as Jane Lydia Le Ber (1825- ) and her sister Harriet (1827- ); and Rosalie Aubin (1830- ) and her sister Marie (1836- ). The Le Ber sisters were the daughters of estate agent, auctioneer and insurance agent John Le Ber, who was also trading from here in 1857, after moving from the Royal Square. John, who was born in Alderney in 1800, was the husband of Jane Le Cordier (1799- ). They had two other daughters, Mary Ann (1828- ) and Louisa Margaret (1830-1905).
The next mention we have found of No 16 is in the 1881 census, when accountant Edward Osborne, born in Guernsey in 1852 was living there with his wife Elizabeth and children Gertrude (1875- ) and Edward (1877- ).
Draper P Le Maistre was trading here in 1886 and 1890, followed in 1896 by Amy and Baker, another outlet for the predecessor of Frederick Baker and Co across the street. In 1900 A Courbebaisse was shown trading at No 16, followed in 1905 by the Hotel Continental. This was the new name for Grand Hotel du Calvados which relocated after its original building in the Royal Square was destroyed by fire. The Queen Street property stretched through to another entrance in Hill Street. The hotel was trading through to 1920, and after it closed, auctioneer and estate G Le B Benest, who was already trading at No 18, took over his neighbouring property.
This was George Le Bas Benest (1859-1951), who is believed to have taken over the business from his Uncle George Philip Benest (1836-1907), who was shown at No 18 in a 1905 almanac and is believed to have had no children. George was still here in 1930, and in 1940 the business was listed to his sons Cyril John and Philip Labey Benest.
It was then taken over by Langlois, who traded at No 16. Langlois were followed by Budget Shoes. Today the island's only specialist book shop, Waterstones, is at No 16.
Historic Environment Record entry
Late 19th century shop with an unusual and prominent facade with elaborate render decoration on upper floors. Makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. THree storeys, two bays. Ornate rusticated render.
Modern shopfront with three cambered arched openings. First floor with twowide windows.