No 17 Beresford Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

17 Beresford Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

No 17 is on the right side of this 19th century photograph

Property name

17 Beresford Street

Other names

  • Beresford House - named by Orviss
  • Centurion House - today's name
  • Beresford Street Kitchen - currently trading at the premises, since 2017


Beresford Street, St Helier

Type of property

Town shops with accommodation above. From about 1860 to 1970 this was a major town centre grocery store. It was owned successively by Charles Asplet, Orviss and Le Riches Stores, which did not trade there after acquiring the whole Orviss business


No recent transactions


Families and businesses associated with the property

  • Asplet: Charles Asplet traded here as a grocer from about 1850. After his death in 1891 the business was taken over by his son Adolphus
  • Orviss: The business was taken over in 1900 by John Walter Orviss, who had already been trading for 25 years on the opposite side of the street

Census returns

  • 1851 – Beresford House – Grocer Charles Asplet (30), employing 15; wife Mary (32), three young sons and a daughter; nine servants, presumably shop workers. Four furthher households. Pensioner Henry Durell (84) with daughter Mary (50) and grocer son Francis (40). Earthenware dealer Elizabeth Le Vesconte (70) and grandson Philip. Virginia Rabbe (45), provision dealer. Philip Coutanche (53), master mariner; wife Elizabeth (50), son Francois (21) seaman, Charles (16), blacksmith; two further sons and two daughters
  • 1861 – Charles Asplet (47) grocer employing 20; wife Mary (31); three sons, two daughters; three grocery employees; four house servants
  • 1871 – Charles Asplet (56) wine merchant and grocer; wife Mary (54); two sons and two daughters
  • 1881 – Charles Asplet (67) wine merchant; son Adolphus (35) wine merchant, son Arthur (17)
  • 1891 – Adolphus Asplet (45) grocery manager; various staff/servants
  • 1901 – Alfred Samson (38) draper; wife Alice (42) milliner, one son

Almanac listings

  • 1874-1886 - C Asplet, grocer
  • 1900-1960 - J W Orviss
  • 1965 - Le Riches
  • 1970-1985 – Marlowe Cleaners ; Rediffusion ; Clerical Medical and General; Hughes and Company
  • 1990 - Beresford House: Rediffusion; Shoe Bar; Stitch and Sew; Clerical Medical and General and other offices

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This mid-19th century building contributes to the streetscape in its scale and articulation. Three-storey, four-bay. Front elevation: Roof unseen behind part balustraded parapet. Heavy cornice at gutter level. Walls rendered, projecting to form 'pilasters' defining west and east bays. Second floor windows set in arched recesses, with bracketed cills. First floor console brackets over and decorative railings running between pilasters. Ground floor central entrance door with pediment over.


Notes and references

1960 - just before the Orviss store closed
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs