59 King Street
In 1833 B Retallick was in business at No 59, making boots and shoes. Also registered at the property was gun maker P Le Boeuf. He was followed by a Mrs Le Cras, who was listed in an 1837 commercial directory as a baker and confectioner.
By the 1851 census stationer Kosciusko H Clarke, from England, is living with his wife Elizabeth Westear, daughter Mary, and brother-in-law Thomas Westear. By 1861 they have moved away and widower John Le Marquand (1821- ) is established at the premises as a grocer. Descended from a Guernsey family, John (baptised Jean) was the son of Nicholas and Jeanne Le Gros Bisson, of St Mary. He married twice, probably to cousins, Mary Le Gros Bisson and Jeanne Selina Le Gros Bisson.
John Le Marquand was followed at No 59 by hatter and clothier William Henry Netten (1821- ) who appears in the 1881 census with wife Emma, nee Geach (1826- ) and daughters Matilda (1853- ), Elizabeth Fanny (1857- ) and Alice (1860- ). The couple had four other children - Mary (1847- ), Maria (1849- ), Jane (1858- ) and Isabella Rosanna (1862- ).
The premises are shown as unoccupied in the 1891 and 1901 censuses, but P C Gallichan's mens outfitters La Belle Jardiniere is known to have been operating there from 1885 to at least 1900, and probably several years beyond.
This was Philippe Charles Gallichan, and although there are two possible fits, we believe this to be the son of Philippe Gallichan and Anne Cooper, born in Trinity in 1816.
He was followed by Philip Hamon's refreshment rooms which appear in a 1912 almanac listing, and J R Rowland's tobacconist, which operated in the inter-war years. That was followed by a succession of cafes and restaurants, the Silver Grill, Chez Louise, Cafe Normandie, Pascall's, de la Poste and Jersey Pottery.
Restaurant de la Poste was on the first floor of No 59.
- 1833 - B Retallick, boot and shoe maker; P Le Boeuf, gun maker
- 1837 - Mrs Le Cras, confectioner
- 1851 - K Clarke, stationer
- 1855 - Franklin's fancy repository
- 1861-71 - John Le Marquand, grocer
- 1881 - William Netten, hatter and outfitter
- 1885-1901 - La Belle Jardiniere, men's outfitter: P C Gallichan
- 1912 - Philip Hamon, refreshment rooms
- 1919-1940 - J R Rowland, tobacconist
- 1948 - Silver Grill
- 1955-1965 - Chez Louise
- 1970 - Cafe Normandie
- 1970s - Glamour Gift Shop
- 1980 - Pascalls Restaurant
- 1990-2000 - Besants grocers and De La Poste restaurant
- 2010 - Jersey Pottery cafe
Franklin's 'fancy repository' left No 59 King Street for Library Place in 1855