No 5 Beresford Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

5-6 Beresford Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

5-6 Beresford Street [1]


Corner of Beresford Street and Cattle Street, St Helier

Type of property

Edwardian shop building. Before this property was rebuilt, probably in the first decade of the 20th century, the frontage on Beresford Street was much wider, and it is likely that there was another building - No 6 - to the east of it. Cattle Street was much narrower then, but the demolition of Nos 5 and 6 brought about by the rebuilding project presented an opportunity to widen it from a narrow lane to a full-width street, at the same time providing a smaller No 5 with a much-valued frontage on Cattle Street.


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Le Marquand: The Le Marquand family ran an agricultural and gardening supplies business here from 1950, until the retirement of Brian Le Marquand in 1976.

Census returns: No 5

  • 1851 - George Noel (29) miller and baker employing eight men; wife Eliza (29); three sons and two daughters and two servants. John du Jardin (45) china and glass merchant; wife Barbara (34); five sons, two daughters; brother Thomas (52) former mariner. Elizabeth Duval (52) widowed market woman; grandson Henry (13) ironmonger’s shop boy
  • 1871 - Thomas Le Blancq (32) nursery and seedsman; wife Fanny (20) and daughter Eva Mabel (1)
  • 1881 - Theophile Le Blancq (42) seed and guano merchant; wife Fanny (30), four school age daughters and a domestic servant

Census returns: No 6

  • 1851 - Charles Le Feuvre (35), bookseller and binder employing three men and three boys; wife Mary (37); two daughters and a son; one servant. This is likely to be the same Charles who founded the Beresford Library at No 18 during the 1850s
  • 1871 - Francois Quesnel (38) chemist, France; wife Louisa (31), three daughters

Almanac listings

  • 1874-1886 - No 5,T W Le Blancq, seedsman. No 6, M Hermety, chemist
  • 1895 [2] - T W Le Blancq, seedsman; T F Pirouet
  • 1900-1925 - T F Pirouet
  • 1930-1950 - A Drieu
  • 1950-1976 - Le Marquand's
  • 1980- - Island Lock and Safe Company

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This Edwardian corner building contributes to the streetscape with its strongly articulated rhythm and detailing. Three-storey, corner building - one bay to Beresford Street, one angled corner, three bays to Cattle Street. Roof unseen behind balustraded parapet.

Notes and references

  1. Because No 6 has not existed for over a century, we have decided to include census and almanac references and adverts on this page
  2. All entries from here are for No 5 only
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs