65 King Street
In the first two decades of the 20th century No 65 King Street was part of a little French enclave. Emile Lemmer (1869- ) and his wife Lucie (1873- ) were running Au Grand Turc here, next door to the Amalrics' Au Paridis des Touristes.
The first recorded enterprise at No 65 in 1851 was Helier Sebire's (1801- ) business as a shoemaker. His wife Esther (nee Helleur) ran the household while he was assisted in the business by his son Helier (1834- ) and four live-in apprentices. He was still in business ten years later, but had moved with his family to 28 Conway Street. Helier was still working with his father but had married and had his own separate household at 28 Conway Street. Helier snr was the son of Jean Sebire and Marie Viel.
Tin plate worker
In 1861 No 65 was home to Samuel Landick (1812- ), a tin plate worker, with wife Mary (1811- ) and daughters Mary (1842- ) and Fanny (1845- ). Whether he was conducting a business from the premises or just lived there is unclear. Mr and Mrs Landick came to Jersey from England and their daughters were born in St Helier. In 1851 the Landicks were at 26 Queen Street at the time of the census, and the family was somewhat larger. In addition to Mary and Fanny, the Landicks had sons William (1839- ) and Samuel (1847- ) and a daughter Elizabeth Ann, known only by the initials 'E A' in the census. Also living with them was Samuel's 16-year-old niece Mary Grisdale, from England, described as a servant.
In 1871 the census recorded the presence of Celestin Belivert (1839- ), a grocer from France, with his wife Adele (1842- ), who was born in Jersey, and daughter Celestine (1865- ) and son Adolphe (1867- ). Celestin had died by 1881, and his wife was running the business, living with Celestine at No 65.
By 1891 Alaric East (1863- ), from Warwickshire, had taken over the grocery, living at No 65 with his wife Vida (1867- ), born in Guernsey, and daughter Vida (1888- ) and son Alaric (1889- ), both born in St Helier. Living with them was Alaric's mother Caroline (1824- ), who was born in London.
In 1901 tobacconist Charles Laigier (1868- ) was trading here, living with his wife Gabrielle (1878- ) and widowed mother Clemence (1834- ). All three were born in France.
So, too, was Emile Lemmer (1869- ) and his wife Lucie (1873- ), who had taken over by 1904. He called his business Au Grand Turc, and it was aimed very much at French visitors, described as a Maison Francaise, and selling tea, Algerian tobacco, French newspapers, and accepting French currency without surcharge. After Emile's death in the 1910s, Lucie took over the business.
In 1930 W Kent was trading at No 65, followed by A C Guernier. In the 1950s and early '60s the premises were home to Chick Inn, followed by a Wimpy Bar, and then a jeweller in the 1980s, followed by the Tie Rack.
- 1851 - Helier Sbire, shoemaker
- 1853 - E Webb, milliner and corsetry
- 1861 - Samuel Landick, tin plate worker
- 1871 - Celestin Beilvert, merchant
- 1880-1885 - Adele Beilvert, grocer
- 1900-1903 - Charles Laigier, tobacconist
- 1904-1913 - Au Grand Turc, Emile Lemmer
- 1919 - Mrs Lemmer
- 1930 - W Kent
- 1940 - A C Guernier
- 1948-1965 - Chick Inn
- 1970 - Wimpy Bar
- 1980 - Douglas Jeweller
- 1990-2000 - Tie Rack
- 2010 - Dandara