Before the park was created
From the Jersey Independent 1 April 1857
We had occasion to pass the other day through Cheapside, as far as Mr Clarke's ship building yard . We observed that our worthy Constable (Mr Marett)  had exerted all his skill in the improvement of that part of the town.
The pieces of land lately conceded by the Tenants of Meleches to the Parish on both sides of the road are planted with trees – a double row on the site of Gallows Hill. The road towards the Stranger's Cemetery is also studded with trees as well as the road branching off along side of the Esplanade Distillery. The trees planted exceed two hundred.
In the course of time this part of the town will certainly become valuable and increase the value of the surrounding property. We would recommend strongly to our worthy Constable the propriety of purchasing that flat piece of land lying between the road and Gallows Hill and have it planted and laid out as a Public Promenade. The Parish and States should subscribe a portion of the outlay, the remainder being by a public subscription. To return to our brief notice we must give credit to Mr Marett for this improvement. The road works were under the superintendence of Mr Thomas Gallichan, the able Civil Engineer. The trees are in excellent condition and have been furnished by Mr C B Saunders.
Notes and references
- ↑ On the coast at West Park
- ↑ Robert Pipon Marett, only Constable for a short time, later Attorney-General and Bailiff. During his time in municipal office he was responsible for laying out the Parade, formerly a military parade area, as public gardens
- ↑ This was praise indeed from the Independent. Although professing to have no allegiance to either of the political parties which dominated the States at the time, the newspaper was strongly anti-establishment and rarely lavished such praise on one of its prominent members