St Helier Harbour - dated pictures from the 19th century

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Dated pictures from the 19th century

1830s


Four photographs added to the site in 2019 from a French album showing the Victoria Harbour and Harbourmouth in 1880
The Old Harbour in 1897
A view along the length of the harbour in the late 1880s. The widening of the end of the New North Quay can be made out in the top right of the picture. Behind the rowing boat, at the top of the harbour, is the Harbour Office building, with the spire of the recently completed St Thomas' Church behind it
This photograph was taken from the end of the South Pier in the 1840s
Sketches from Pictorial World in 1880 of life on the Albert Pier
The top of the old harbour in the mid-1860s
This view of the Old Harbour and the Weighbridge and Esplanade beyond can be dated to the last decade of the 19th century
South Pier and the French Harbour - possibly taken as early as 1846
This picture probably dates from between 1866 and 1874, when the vessel on the right, moored in front of Commercial Buildings, was a regular visitor to St Helier. She was Gladiator, or more properly Gladiateur, built by F C Clark, at their West Park yard. She was a 427-ton barque, owned by Fr Carrel and Co from 1866 to 1874. She was broken up in 1916, ten years after transferring to Yarmouth as a coal hulk. Clark had the largest shipyard and employed up to 400 shipbuilders, at West Park (1844-1867) where he built 62 vessels. He also had a yard at Havre des Pas (1839-1845) where 12 vessels were built, and he built two ships at La Folie.
The harbour in the late 1890s. In the foreground are the French Harbour and English Harbour, with the Old Harbour behind. The North Quay is still being widened and would soon be renamed the New North Quay
Unlike many 19th century images of St Helier Harbour which surface today, this one of the end of the Albert Pier can be dated quite precisely, because it was taken by Thomas Tibbles, who was in business as Peirson Photographic Studio, on the corner of King Street and Peirson Place, from 1876 to 1880. Thomas and his wife Maria also ran a stationery shop at No 5 King Street, having started out in the early 1870s, or even the previous decade, as a bookseller. His career as a photographer was short-lived, because by 1881 he was shown in the census as an 'imbecile', and was soon institutionalised. What a shame, because he took a good photograph!
Sail and steam in the harbour mouth in 1887
Old harbour, 1865. These two pictures were taken on the same day between 1 January and 14 May 1865, and the image below shows the paddle steamer Comete moored alongside the quay undergoing an extensive overhaul
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs