West Park

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Bathing machines lined up on either side of the slipway
A 19th century albumen print
Another picture taken not long after showing the Triangle Park laid out in the 1880s
This picture of West Park, taken from Fort Regent with a telephoto lens, and looking in the opposite directions from the one above, probably dates to the mid-1870s. The Esplanade is complete, considerably foreshortened by the lens used, and the seawall past the Piquet House looks as if it has just been added, so this appears to have been preparatory work for the laying of the railway line. But the building to the right of the Piquet House looks like West Park Station, and the track appears to be in place along the Esplanade in the right foreground. It's not very clear, but it appears to curve inland after the station across what is now part of the Lower Park, and then back to the coast where the stretch of seawall ends. Victoria Avenue has not even been thought of at this stage, nor has the Grand Hotel. Jewell's Marine Hotel is still there on the right where the Grand would be built in 1890, and the Avenue was not constructed until 1897. What was first called Cheapside Station opened in 1872. It later became Westmount Station and then West Park Station. Why Cheapside? Because at the time the road we now know as Peirson Road was part of Cheapside, which stretched from the Parade to West Park Avenue and then all the way down to the coast. F C Clarke's shipyard, which had dominated the coastline at West Park, closed in 1867. There appears to be some sort of launching ramp half way along the new seawall and perhaps a small covered shipyard just beyond it

Click on any image to see a larger version

Smartly dressed for a beach outing
The beach in 1909
A large fete at West Park. Based on the cars shown, the photograph appears to have been taken in the late 1930s but, although decorated carriages in the foreground suggest an association with the Battle of Flowers, this cannot be correct if the date is correct, because the event was only held here until the outbreak of the Great War and revived at Springfield Stadium from 1928 until the German Occupation. Perhaps the date could be 1951, when the Battle was revived and returned to Victoria Avenue
The beach in 1914
An aerial view of West Park in the 1950 showing the road layout after the war, before Victoria Avenue was made a dual carriageway. It is noteworthy that there is no cafe next to the slipway, but a few vans were parked there selling drinks, icecreams and newspapers
<center>
You can't believe everything printed on a postcard. Just to prove it, here is a fine view of the Victoria Marine Lake at West Park, wrongly captioned First Tower. And it is in St Aubin's Bay, not St Helier's Bay
La Fregate Cafe, a controversial but widely acclaimed design - Picture Jersey Evening Post
A crowded beach
21st century aerial view
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs